• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilianizing M101A2

RKBA

Good Day,

I am planning on swapping the axle and coupler on an M101a2 for standard utility trailer stuff.

Does anyone know the actual weight of the GI axle, hubs, coupler and surge brake hardware?

Getting the trailer a bit more manageable for my Jeeps is the goal.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Why would you want to do that to a 101A2! Just about anyone here would swap out an 101A1 so you could do the same thing and not ruin one of the harder to obtain 101A2's. Your pulling the axle and surge brakes on it anyway.

Fail to see why you would have paid for an A2 just to civilianize it versus buying a 101A1 to do the same thing.

RKBA

Well, I just won the auction and have to wait for the EUC. I suppose I would be open to trades once I have the trailer in hand.

Again, I want it lower and ideally ditch some weight. It may be a path of least resistance to simply switch the original axle to a spring-under position and run aluminum wheels and shorter tires.

I realize this is a "purist" enthusiast forum but restoration isn't my intention with this trailer.

Mike_Pop

It has nothing to do with a purist attitude. It's just plain facts. The M101A2 is a superb trailer. It's the perfect height for any pickup truck, it has 8 lug Chevy rims, and surge brakes. It's a big improvement over the M101A1.

What are your intentions for the trailer? Are you going to be pulling it with a full size pickup?

Mike_Pop

Ok...then modifying makes sense. You might want to try just underslinging the springs on the trailer. This would drop it about 4". And look into an adjustable pintle hitch that can go into a receiver. This way, you could use it on both of your Jeeps.

I have a friend who pulls his M101 with a Jeep Cherokee. The trailer does sit low in the front.

RKBA

Mike_Pop said:
Ok...then modifying makes sense. You might want to try just underslinging the springs on the trailer.
Thanks Mike

I was speculating that I could invert/reverse the axle to accomplish that without cutting or welding. Obviously it would require shorter shocks, no big deal.

Might even remove a leaf or two from the spring packs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks