• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civvy Trailer Plug Wiring

mikes47jeep

Hi all, I'm trying to set up a trailer plug on a M416

I have a civvy 7 pin round connector, they type used in commercial applications

Now if I look on line there’s about 20 different ways people have these things wired

How are they supposed to be set up???

#1 ground

#2 12v power

#3 Left trun / Brake

#4 Reverse lights????

#5 Right Turn / Brake

#6 Marker Lights

#7 Eletric Brakes

dose that seem right to you?

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much these days still uses the 7 way ROUND PIN connector. All modern pickup trucks use the 7 way connector, thats whats usually Factory/stock.

Double check your tow vehicle's connector. This link should help you. I find it is very accurate, and shows both sides of the plug.

Redirect Notice

Last edited:

JFMickey_D

As emmado22 said, the only way to be 100% sure is to use a test light or meter to verify each pin on the tow vehicle's connector. Then and only then do you wire up the towed vehicle's connector.

Lex_Ordo

I made both a 4 pin flat and a 7 pin round adapter.
The 4 pin was used to connect to the existing trailer wiring harness on my Jeep JK Wrangler, and mounted to the hitch so it will accept the military 12 pin NATO plug.

The 7 pin round adapter plugs directly into the 7 pin receptacle on an older GM truck I had.

Attachments

andytk5

I made both a 4 pin flat and a 7 pin round adapter.
The 4 pin was used to connect to the existing trailer wiring harness on my Jeep JK Wrangler, and mounted to the hitch so it will accept the military 12 pin NATO plug.

The 7 pin round adapter plugs directly into the 7 pin receptacle on an older GM truck I had.
Lex - Would the adapter you made in the 4th picture work for MEP-004a mounted ona 2.5ton generator trailer and a 2005 dodge ram with the round trailer receptacle? That adapter takes the 12v truck lights to the 24v trailer lights?

edit: looking at it closer it is definitely an M200A1 trailer.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

The round plug is a 7 pin Pollak RV type plug that is pretty much the standard round trailer plug found on most modern civi trucks, other than the 4 pin flat that everyone uses on boat trailers and such. GM, Dodge, Ford.
I just spliced in the 12 pin receptacle to accomodate the 12 pin NATO on my trailer so I could tow the trailer with my civi truck.

My trailer (and My duece) have the new military LED composite lights from Grote. They are multi-volt so they function with the correct brihtness on the 12 volt civi truck, or the 24 volt military truck. The reason for the adpter and the lights was to give me the ability to tow the trailer with either vehicle and not have to waste time changing out bulbs for the different applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks