• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civy Air Conditioning on HMMWV

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've looked around, but all I've found is people using the military Red Dot AC systems.

Anyhow, I wondered, has anyone used one of the civilian "under dash" AC systems in a HMMWV? I understand that you wouldn't be able to put it under the "dash" of a HMMWV. But perhaps it could be relocated elsewhere in the cabin.

The two things that just completely turn me off from the red dot is the huge box that takes up the center. Then more important to me, is the ac condenser that ends up blocking the rear window opening. (Plus it's ugly)

I know I've seen the condenser mounted in the rear passenger wheel well also. But I'm not keen on such a fragile piece being located right there. (Yes I know there's a plastic shield)

So I wondered if a civy condenser could be mounted in front of the Radiator/cooler stack. But I know HMMWVs are naturally hot running.

My next goals for mine is an overdrive transmission and a turbo. But AC would be nice too. So any thoughts?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The H1 mounts on top of the radiator stack....it can be done. The fender mounted unit is nice, it's out of the way, poses no issues I'm aware of. I've installed several, both 2 man setups and 4 man. IMO, The 2 man setup blows plenty cold to fill the cabin.
I just did a conversion for a customer...it uses the red dot kit with the new style pancake compressor on full serpitine setup. So far so good, I had to have some special hoses made to adapt to the new style manifold.

DSO_351

Review the H1 forum. The Civilian AC setup from ACME (yes no Roadrunner) was problematic. They appear at times on a popular auction website. IIRC they were bought out by another company in Indiana. Might be worth reviewing AC retrofit systems for muscle cars.

Back in 1992, when H1s were for sale, being expensive, they were considered Exotic Vehicle. Local auto Parts places were unable to support the limited buyers.

gestut

I've looked around, but all I've found is people using the military Red Dot AC systems.

Anyhow, I wondered, has anyone used one of the civilian "under dash" AC systems in a HMMWV? I understand that you wouldn't be able to put it under the "dash" of a HMMWV. But perhaps it could be relocated elsewhere in the cabin.

The two things that just completely turn me off from the red dot is the huge box that takes up the center. Then more important to me, is the ac condenser that ends up blocking the rear window opening. (Plus it's ugly)

I know I've seen the condenser mounted in the rear passenger wheel well also. But I'm not keen on such a fragile piece being located right there. (Yes I know there's a plastic shield)

So I wondered if a civy condenser could be mounted in front of the Radiator/cooler stack. But I know HMMWVs are naturally hot running.

My next goals for mine is an overdrive transmission and a turbo. But AC would be nice too. So any thoughts?
I am in the same boat. What do you think about this. I have seen this mounted on a radio tray. Shocked its so cheap.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While many of you don’t like the red dot system, it’s unfortunately one of the few that actually work to cool the interior of a hmmwv. reddot systems are Industrial and very Heavy duty.
you need to do research on how A/C works, you have to look at the system your considering and perform some calculations. Remember that a hmmwv is a very large open area that has massive air loss, massive heat generation internally in the cab, with this in mind, you need to realize that the cheap AC system will run constantly and eventually shut down as it cannot keep up with demand...so the idea that small and cheap may be appealing, do the proper research, spend the money, or you will just throw your money away on a cheap system.
We repurpose the existing red dot system in the M1123’s, we remove the large obtrusive condensor and install the current condensor being used in current production HMMW’s.
Yes, the evaporator is large, but it will do a better job than any after market AC system I’ve seen yet.

gestut

While many of you don’t like the red dot system, it’s unfortunately one of the few that actually work to cool the interior of a hmmwv. reddot systems are Industrial and very Heavy duty.
you need to do research on how A/C works, you have to look at the system your considering and perform some calculations. Remember that a hmmwv is a very large open area that has massive air loss, massive heat generation internally in the cab, with this in mind, you need to realize that the cheap AC system will run constantly and eventually shut down as it cannot keep up with demand...so the idea that small and cheap may be appealing, do the proper research, spend the money, or you will just throw your money away on a cheap system.
We repurpose the existing red dot system in the M1123’s, we remove the large obtrusive condensor and install the current condensor being used in current production HMMW’s.
Yes, the evaporator is large, but it will do a better job than any after market AC system I’ve seen yet.
I totally agree, i cannot see how this will be comparable to red dot, it was just a thought hence my comment so cheap and shocked. it probably work in moderate climates. from what i have learned the red dot system was a retrofit to the older models , the newer m1165 has the condenser in the hood from what i can tell, and i believe it has 2 evaparators (front and back) , i think. so i was thinking along the same line may be use the m1165 condenser as you mentioned.. when you say repurpose the the m1123 condenser , do you install the condenser in the hood or in the top back? would like to know how this is done as i have been looking at different possibilities. thanks

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree, i cannot see how this will be comparable to red dot, it was just a thought hence my comment so cheap and shocked. it probably work in moderate climates. from what i have learned the red dot system was a retrofit to the older models , the newer m1165 has the condenser in the hood from what i can tell, and i believe it has 2 evaparators (front and back) , i think. so i was thinking along the same line may be use the m1165 condenser as you mentioned.. when you say repurpose the the m1123 condenser , do you install the condenser in the hood or in the top back? would like to know how this is done as i have been looking at different possibilities. thanks
current production trucks don’t have the condensor under the hood, the right fender houses the condensor for the front A/C, the left fender houses the condensor for the rear A/C. The only thing under the Is the compressor.

gestut

current production trucks don’t have the condensor under the hood, the right fender houses the condensor for the front A/C, the left fender houses the condensor for the rear A/C. The only thing under the Is the compressor.
interesting, i was reading this article about m1165 and thats all i went by, it talks about the condenser front mounted, so I assumed it was under the hood.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the system I am going to try to install, it is a red-dot R-9520-3, it is rated at 33KBTU and was intended to be floor mounted but there is so much room in the top of the helmet top I plan on roof mounting it behind the B pillar, the hoses will pass over the B pillar. Plans are to have two ducts blowing down from above and two hoses traveling down the A pillar, have not decided if in the middle or the sides, or possibly even the sides of the B pillar

CM-KIT-R-9520-3-24V-1.jpgCM-KIT-R-9520-3-24V-2.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
interesting, i was reading this article about m1165 and thats all i went by, it talks about the condenser front mounted, so I assumed it was under the hood.

there are variants for Export they did/do, I’ve also seen them, but from my research it wasn’t and isn’t issued this way for US military. Having the condensor on the radiator stack is fine, it’s done that way in the H1 models.
You just need move the heat from the coils as in any A/C system.
it’s definitely simpler to put it on the radiator stack and cheaper As well.
i like to keep thing as OEM as possible, that and my customers like the look of the fender mounted condensor.

gestut

This is the system I am going to try to install, it is a red-dot R-9520-3, it is rated at 33KBTU and was intended to be floor mounted but there is so much room in the top of the helmet top I plan on roof mounting it behind the B pillar, the hoses will pass over the B pillar. Plans are to have two ducts blowing down from above and two hoses traveling down the A pillar, have not decided if in the middle or the sides, or possibly even the sides of the B pillar

View attachment 794993View attachment 794994
Nice that looks pretty big, what do they mean by floor mounted , i am assuming evap mounting ? if so where would you mount the condenser ? in the hood i am assuming ?please keep me posted how it goes, i still have other things to get to before i get to the a/c part,

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A major site sponsor is RestoMod Air.

Why not contact them?

Last edited:

abfisher1798

I am interested to learn more about how you do that.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested to learn more about how you do that.
I did this type of install a few months ago and have some pictures from it in this thread:

Not the cleanest install, but it works very well (if weather is below 80 I have to run the heater as well to keep from freezing out)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks