• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ5 & M38A1 engine mounts?

Are the CJ5 & M38A1 engine mounts the same? Mine need to be replaced, they are in very bad condition. If they are the same I found out earlier today that the local auto parts store can get the CJ5 mounts. I really hope they are the same as the A1. aua

wilfreeman

I believe the civvy ones didn't have the provision for the support rods going to the radiator. The second pic looks like it does, but that's just a slot in the rubber - the first pic shows the real opening for the rod in the metal part of the mount. I would think the civvy ones will work if not using the support rods.

I got the civvy mounts and modified them a bit. I took the welds out on the bottom plate on my originals and separated them and bolted the bottom plates to the new mounts. The support rod does fit in the hole where it goes. I will try and post pics today with how I did this. It looks like to me that it will work. This was the last thing I needed to get the engine back in my A1. Sure glad to know that it will be back up and running soon!

wilfreeman

Cool! Probably saved a little cash too. Glad to here the old girl's going to be up and running again. Sure is a nice looking Jeep you got there! Looks like a show Jeep.

I noticed in your signature that you have an M101 that you are going to make into a camper - I had the same idea until my wife shot it down. But of course, that would be one way for me to be able to go camping alone! Only problem is, is that I need her Expedition to pull it - I wouldn't trust Ol'Rusty (my new nickname for my 1992 4x4 Silverado) to pull it any distance for camping.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what my plan is for my M101, its an all original '61 that was civil air patrol from what my dad says. And my Jeep looks waaay better in pictures than what it really is. Lol it needs work but that's why I like it. Overall it's a pretty solid piece of American steel!

wilfreeman

Well that's good - I like to look at trailer queens, but I'd rather ride the trails in a real Jeep! Mine's not perfect because I wanted it that way - I didn't want to have to worry about every little scratch, or getting mud on her. As a matter of fact, the day I got my new NDCCs put on, I went straight to the logging road with her!

My Brother owns a body shop and did the body work - I had to tell him that I didn't want it perfect. Now, he's got her at the shop getting the frame straightened and the body lined up so I can put the final coat of paint on.

Yep that's what I didn't want to worry about either! If you scratch it just get the rattle can of 24087! How did you figure out the frame was tweaked? Did it drive funny or something? I read your blog earlier and I really like your Jeep!! It looks pretty nice!

wilfreeman

Thanks - I've had it for a long time, and just got back working on it last year - she'll be completely done before the rally in georgia next month.

I finally got my hood done and put it on the Jeep and it didn't line up. I spent probably 10 hours trying to get the body and hood lined up - then I gave up and told my brother to come get it - I was ready to pay to get it done! We loaded it up on the trailer and he took a quick look at it. After about 5 minutes, he said it was diamond shaped - and no wonder the body wouldn't line up! It drove fine, the body and hood just wouldn't line up.

wilfreeman

Thanks - I've had it for a long time, and just got back working on it last year - she'll be completely done before the rally in georgia next month.

I finally got my hood done and put it on the Jeep and it didn't line up. I spent probably 10 hours trying to get the body and hood lined up - then I gave up and told my brother to come get it - I was ready to pay to get it done! We loaded it up on the trailer and he took a quick look at it. After about 5 minutes, he said it was diamond shaped - and no wonder the body wouldn't line up! It drove fine, the body and hood just wouldn't line up.

wilfreeman

That will work - probably the more economical thing to do! Mine had a bent valve causing low compression on #2. I pulled the head and side cover, removed the valve, put a valve out of my spare shortblock in it and lapped them in. Runs good - only problem is that my fuel pump lobe is wearing down - will have to pull the cam before too long. Should have just went ahead and rebuilt the spare engine or put another engine in it! Oh well - live and learn.

Is the front plate the same on a CJ engine? It seems like there was something different about them - a slot for the fuel pump maybe?

Anyway - good luck with the engine and I hope you get her back on the road soon!

The fuel pump went on fine, I did have a little trouble with the spacer on it. But the front generator bolt hole is my problem right now. I need to get a spacer on it or switch plates....not real sure what I want to do with it right now.

wilfreeman

I was wrong - I found the video that Walck's did on Youtube about front mount plates:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvyeLT8gdvA[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks