• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clanking Turbo

Vfflang

FL Guy needs some help Deuce Motor Clacking

I been have trouble wth my deuce for the past couple of days. At first I thought it was a fuel problem but i gone through the TM and asked around run all through the fuel system. but I think I have some different my turbo has been clanking at idle and it seem like my oil pressure is not coming up after start...I've check the oil and it dip stick is full. only time I get oil pressure is when I step on the throttle. I'm also get alot of smoke from the tube off the top of the engine that run down the side by the turbo. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

197thhhc

You may be burning some oil but it would be a good idea to hook up a mechanical gauge to check your pressure. The electric ones a notoriously inaccurate. As for the turbo, you can remove the inlet hose and exhaust and check for play in the shaft. Also look for rub marks on the housing.

Vfflang

ok check all the above with the turbo I'm getting back pressure out the intake side of the turbo which is making the clack, clack, clack sound and pulled all the injectors to have a look see. I my neigbhor came by he thinks I have a dead cyclinder, burnt value , or blow head gasket. The truck is pushing alot of raw fuel out the stack. Does anyone in Central Florida have a Compression testor ?

Vfflang

OK checked the injectors one by one. while it ran seem like the # one cyclinders not firing but the injector was working. Any thoughts? I pulled the valve cover they were moving but they were loose

caliber1

Lang, try swapping that injector to another cylinder and see if the miss goes with it. That might suggest a bad injector. Just a thought. I'm sure someone will chime in if that is a bad idea.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If an intake valve is burned, it can still detonate in the manifold and make back pressure in the manifold. When you start it, you can check for combustion by holding your hand on that exhaust port. If that one is colder, it is not firing. That is what it is sounding like. The back pressure is interfering with the turbo. You still might check the turbo. If there are rub marks on the housing/loose shaft, replace it. When the the clearance goes on the shaft, it may break vanes, then they are ingested into the combustion cylinder - not good. Also it can consume great gobs of oil, blow black/blue smoke.. Check turbo first, its the easyest, before pulling head.

GAOOD LUCK

Vfflang

I checked the turbo it seem to be find no play ,no rub marks. I will switch the injector tomorrow to have a look see. I did run the truck with that injector outside of the engine and it was spraing but not sure if was dumping or spraying right. so I'll change to another cylinder to see if that one floods. When I had that injector out and the truck running the raw fuel that was coming from the stack had stoped this is how i'm figure it cylinder #1 my quest contiunes ...I know the values were loose when we pulled the cover not sure if that has anything to do with it

Vfflang

OK moved all injectors around to a cylinder I know that works <difference in sound when you loosen the fuel line.> Injector are all working. Now stupid question doesn't the engine need some form of power to make a fire to burn the fuel or am I way off ?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you don't need a tester, just crank it over with the fuel off. if there is a low cyl you will hear it in the cranking speed. sounds like you have a hole in a piston.

Vfflang

Survey Says Blown Head Gasket!Melted through #1 to #2 cylinder almost got #3 My guess is EGT. photos tonight....Does anyone know if hair line fracture in the piston normal or not normal ?

DieselBob

Survey Says Blown Head Gasket!Melted through #1 to #2 cylinder almost got #3 My guess is EGT. photos tonight....Does anyone know if hair line fracture in the piston normal or not normal ?
A crack in a piston is not a good thing. Even a hairline fracture will cause the piston to expand and contract abnormally. Best case it just causes blow by into the crankcase. Worst case it fractures and the piston fails sending pieces everywhere in the engine.

ranchhopper

Your clanking turbo probably has some fins broken off inside they will do that if the engine is frequently shut down with the engine not idled down to dissapate the heat in the turbo. Constant expansion and contraction does nasty things to the thin fins inside turbochargers we had a truck at work that rattled for years after loosing a turbo and expelling the parts into the exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks