• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Class 3 reciever on m1009

REDWOLF

I am shure somone on here has installed a class tree reciver on there blazer. What all has to be changed to do this. Can i keep the pentail hook and everything eles or does it have to go. ;)

coyotegray

This is one of the first things I plan on doing to my 1009 once I pick it up from GL.
I don't think anything needs to be done any different than if you installed it on a civi Blazer. The only thing would be that you would need to make sure your drawbar is long enough to clear the pintle.

I ordered a receiver hitch, T wiring harness and a 7-pole socket from etrailer.com. Ill end up installing a trailer brake controller.

CUCV85

trailer towing with a CUCV

I am share somone on here has installed a class tree reciver on there blazer. What all has to be changed to do this. Can i keep the pentail hook and everything eles or does it have to go. ;)
Depends on what you plan on towing/HOW Heavy Duty You NEED it to be, the hitch...

You can get a 20.00 bolt on/weld on - your preference
or both :)
From Harbor Freight. Goes on the plate under your bumper - works on the M1009 Blazer.
It's a class III, rofl

but if you want it to be on the frame then you have a a few dozen options.

As seen from this pic I found on the I-net, the hitch can be done, but it will need to stick out far enough to be able to clear the pential hitch (If you plan on keeping it. So, a frame mounted one would be best. As far as I can tell, you really don't need to move anything so long as the hitch drops down far enough to clear the bumper. I suggest taking some measurements. Measure from the bottom of the frame (Where the hitch will be mounted) down to the bottom of the bumper. You need to figure out how low the bumper sits so you can get a hitch with a tall enough mounting bracket to clear it. Other then that, I say, DO IT!! and then post pics to show us how it went! :beer:

Crap, never linked the pic! here ya go

As seen from this pic I found on the I-net, the hitch can be done, but it will need to stick out far enough to be able to clear the pential hitch (If you plan on keeping it. So, a frame mounted one would be best. As far as I can tell, you really don't need to move anything so long as the hitch drops down far enough to clear the bumper. I suggest taking some measurements. Measure from the bottom of the frame (Where the hitch will be mounted) down to the bottom of the bumper. You need to figure out how low the bumper sits so you can get a hitch with a tall enough mounting bracket to clear it. Other then that, I say, DO IT!! and then post pics to show us how it went! :beer:

Attachments

rnd-motorsports

looked up part nubers and the old listings show 73 threw 87 k5 being the smae hitch curt # 13401, Valley # 73890 and reese # R3433042 there are others but the more popular ones :driver: the reseiver hitchs all fit just below the pintal so will not be a problem!

boomer431

I am restoring an M1009 that has a civy reese hitch on it. It is bolted to the frame and welded to the shackle supports . They also removed the long bar under the pintle hich that bolts to the bumper and also the rings for the safety chains. On my personal M1009 I welded and bolted a receiver under the pintle. The hitch is made to bolt under a step bumper. It looks good and still retains the pintle hich.

91W350

To keep everything in front of that bumper with the support brackets for the shackles and the pintle hitch, behind the fuel tank, things get cramped. A fellow member had a great idea and built a simple hitch that is probably as strong as the M1009 needs. Basically we have a 1/2 ton SWB pickup with a topper, regardless of how they are rated.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/2533-custom-reciever-hitch.html

Glen

ODdave

I just put a VALLEY on my dads 1009 today and it fits with no other mods than drilling 2 holes. It clears the pintle & cross bar with no problem. IMO, A great fit!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully he got his hitch installed in the last two years....:wink:

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I am just wondering something.

If a stock M1009 with the 3.08 gears, is rated to not tow anything above 3,000lbs,
then what is the point of getting a trailer hitch rated for a higher weight?

The only reason I see to getting a receiver hitch, is to be able to tow
with any other kind of hitch such as ball, hook, etc.
As long as you still keep it under 3,000lbs?

Just my $ 0.02 cents...

stationjj

I am also wanting to add a hitch to my M1009.

Has anyone done a UHaul hitch install for a Ciivy Blazer? Does a Uhaul Ciivy blazer hitch work on our Blazers without major mods?

I read where someone had issues, but someone else was able to make it work. What's the verdict on Uhaul hitches or should I go with something else.

I am looking at a Uhaul install because it's easier for me to pay them $50 for installation.

Thanks,

stationjj

scottladdy

Hi Dave, Valley is showing part number 73890 which is a custom fit hitch for '73-'91 Full Size Blazers. Would this be the same part number?

Thanks ...