• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

class 4 trailer hitch m1008

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be interested to find out how others have solved this problem. The receiver hitches will not bolt to the bottom of the frame in the usual manner because of the lifting shackle extensions. My solution was to obtain a receiver hitch for the Chevrolet application, and then make angle brackets that bolt to the side of the frame, extend down, and then have a 90 degree flange that points to the center of the truck. On this flange I bolted the receiver hitch. I used 1/4" plate for this. It works great and the receiver is just below the bottom of the bumper. I will get some pics of this and post tomorrow, also make some drawings of the angle brackets that can be easily made at any sheet metal shop.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As promised, here are the pics of my installation. The bracket is 11 1/2" wide, tapers down to 8", the flange width is 4", and the hang down length is 8 1/4". I recommend holding the bracket next to the holes and tracing to get the holes in the right place. Material is 1/4 plate. So far I have towed 10,000 lbs with no issue.

Attachments

AndrewH

Is ther rear frame so different that the reese hiotch designed for a civi truck would not work? I don't have any cucvs so I cannot just run out and measure one. I kept one off od my suburban hoping to use in on a 1009 when I get one, will that be a lost cause? I suppoe it is nothing some time and the welder can't fix! -Andrew

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is ther rear frame so different that the reese hiotch designed for a civi truck would not work? I don't have any cucvs so I cannot just run out and measure one. I kept one off od my suburban hoping to use in on a 1009 when I get one, will that be a lost cause? I suppoe it is nothing some time and the welder can't fix! -Andrew
Andrew,

From what I have read the supports for the pintile hook and back bumper interfer with a straight bolt up. All of the ones I have seen have been modified, like you said, nothing a welder cant fix. Keeping the hitch for that year model is what they are using so you did good saving it off you sub. I'm sure someone will chime in if this is not correct.

Bill

hovenga67

I used a curt hitch for a 86 chevy truck. It is a class 5 and mounts to the bottom of the frame. I had to cut off some of the pintle bracket on the bottom of the frame. also I had to notch the supports that angle into the pintle. But honestly if you have a class 4 hitch what do you need a pintle for other than the nestalgia.

hovenga67

part number is cht-14082 I got it of ebay. It was the cheapest place I found it. It came up as class 4 on summit but on my hitch it has a v which is 5. Anyway I can try to get some pics tomorrow. I also forgot I had to notch the bumper a little but you wouldn't have to do that if you had a longer reciever.
Brent

hovenga67

Didn't have to do anything with them it only mounts to the bottom so it doesn't affect any of that. You could get away without notching the inside pintle brace if you took the bumper off before doing the hitch. But with the bumoer on you can't drop the bolt through the hole. I just got the bumper back on and I wan't about to pull it back off.
Brent

M1009 Fiend

hovenga67
Can you post some measurements on your set up? Mostly how long is the whole set up, how tall is the hitch under the frame of your m1009. I would like to do something similar but need to know how much lower the hitch has to be to get under the pintle hook.

kentuckycucv

Get a "step bumper hitch" they are cheap, and you can bolt it under your bumper.... You will have to drill some more holes or get a welder but it is all you really need. Mine works great.
Here are some links.
Buyers Step Bumper Receiver, Model# SBH2 | Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment
U-Haul moving supplies: Pickup Step Bumper Hitch
Reese Farm & Ranch Class III Step Bumper Hitch Receiver - 1890610 | Tractor Supply Company

I think I got mine off of ebay and i think it really came from harbor freight... I like the tractor supply hitch.... You just have to make it work. Mine is a 10x8 steel plate with the reciever tube welded on it. I have 4 big bolts holding it on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks