• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Class E in GA still a viable option?

Derk

I've been more confused than anything after researching the need for a CDL while driving either the LMTV or the larger FMTVs. Some say no chance you need a cdl because it's over a GVWR of 26k lbs and some say you don't need a cdl because I'd be using it purely for personal use. Then in GA they have a class E and F license but that doesn't seem to apply because I'm not a farmer, emergency vehicle operator, or military. This truck for me would purely be used for towing my race car to the track and used to pick up large items I need around the house. Again, purely personal and nothing even remotely close to being used for any business or commercial. So people on GA what do I need? Why's a class E needed if I'm using it for personal use? Does a class E cover me when driving through other states? It's all super confusing and made even more confusing with the different answers I keep seeing everywhere. Is there a certain agency in GA I can contact to get the answers from? Standard DMV? Thanks in advance.

coachgeo

do you have a 6x6??? trying to figure out where you get that your FMTV weighs over 26k

PS- FMTV's are not larger..... lot of folk get this confused.

ALL the trucks in this category are FMTV's.

FMTV is the (F)amily name that all these trucks fall under. It is an Umbrella term.
MTV is the 6x6 version considered a (M)edium haul at 5 ton haul tactical truck.
LMTV is the 4 wheel version considered (L)ighter haul than the MTV; being only a 2.5ton haul truck

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
do you have a 6x6??? trying to figure out where you get that your FMTV weighs over 26k

FMTV is the (F)amily name that all these trucks fall under. It is an Umbrella term.
MTV is the 6x6 version considered a (M)edium weight 5 ton tactical truck.
LMTV is the 4 wheel version considered (L)ighter than the MTV; being only a 2.5ton truck
Combination weight matters as well. A 1078 with a M322/GTTU equipment trailer, even empty, puts you over 26k

Derk

MTV is the 6x6 version considered a (M)edium weight 5 ton tactical truck.
LMTV is the 4 wheel version considered (L)ighter than the MTV; being only a 2.5ton truck
I do not own anything yet. Would be a tuff pill to swallow getting one of these FMTVs across the country to find out I can't legally drive it. Not what I wanna do considering the purpose I want it for.

I'm not saying it ways over 26k lbs. The GVWR of nearly all of the models except the LMTV has GVWR over 26k lbs. They also (the law) from what I've gathered could care less what it currently weights and in terms of CDL requirements only care about what it CAN weigh. If the LMTV has a trailer hooked to it and can combined have the possibility of weighing over 26k lbs then CDL is required. I just can't get a straight answer if for purely personal use if I really need any sort of CDL. Was hoping there are some GA owners that know the current laws and what's needed. There was a thread in here from 2018 sort of discussing it but things may have changed and it didn't really answer my questions on if the class E or F applied to me and from what I read about it I wouldn't even be allowed yo obtain one because it's for farmers, emergency vehicles and military.

Thank you for the clarification on MTV and LMTV. Going forward I think LMTV is what I would try and go after. I don't need the larger MTV for what I want and the extra tires and other things to take care of would just not be necessary for my use.

Now, if I were able to score one of the LMTV models that actually have a GVWR under 26k lbs would that help not needing a CDL in GA? I've spoken to some people that sell these as a business and they said it doesn't matter because it has air brakes so I was still in the same boat and needed a CDL (depending on state)

Just trying to get in touch with people currently familiar and currently driving an LMTV in GA. Maybe even someone who's been pulled over and questioned and how it turns out. Any common issues with the law maybe not knowing it's not needed or issues with them giving tickets anyway regardless if it's legal. Maybe I can get a class E and it isn't a problem. I just can't seem to get a clear answer no matter how much I try and research these questions.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In many states (including Georgia as far as I can tell) you don't need a CDL for a motorhome or RV regardless of weight. So any FMTV being used and successfully registered as such are exempt no matter what their weight or characteristics are. Throw a sleeping bag and a Coleman stove in the back and that's enough for a lot of the more rural DMV offices.

I mean - it essentially IS a Recreational Vehicle for you. You aren't using it to make money, and it's not a commuting appliance, so it's an RV.

Georgia is clearly listed and the law exempting RV's is shown as: OCGA § 40-5-142

" provided, however, that for the purposes of this article, no agricultural vehicle, commercial vehicle operated by military personnel for military purposes, recreational vehicle, or fire-fighting or emergency equipment vehicle shall be considered a commercial motor vehicle. "

Get RV plates and you're golden as far as I can tell. Keep a copy of that law on hand if some peace officer gives your grief.

There's always www.dirtlegal.com if you have problems with Georgia. I had problems with Oregon and so I have Utah plates.

AFAIK, all the soft cab (pre A1P2 models - which is the only one's you'll even find to purchase anyway) have a GVW of 25,980 lbs. Mine is about the newest and heaviest LMTV that can be purchased on the civilian side (2008 M1079 A1R) and mine has a curb weight of 21,500 lbs unloaded and still carries a GVW of 25,980. You aren't going to purchase an LMTV over 26k because they don't exist for us. Only the military operates the A1P2 armored cab and those are definitely over 26k.

Last edited:

coachgeo

I do not own anything yet. Would be a tuff pill to swallow getting one of these FMTVs across the country to find out I can't legally drive it. .....
so far have not heard of anyone ever being required to get an CLD (from any state) to drive an LMTV. BTW This question been asked in here and other places numerous times.

That said.... many have also stated...... if for some odd reason you ended up needing cdl. It is really no big deal. little reading.... little study..... go pass the test... even if you dont need it... its worthwhile education.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never heard of anyone even being pulled over in an LMTV for any reason......... I drove my M1079 from Texas to Oregon with no plates, no trip permit.... nothing at all showing on the outside of the truck. I had insurance, title, and bill of sale with me of course. Was followed, passed, waved at, thumbs up'd by many officers.... these trucks are so slow that unless you do something really stupid with it - most officers could care less and about 3/4 of the time they just figure you are military anyway and they have no jurisdiction. What they gonna do if you don't stop? Many military transports and convoys are under no-stop orders. Comes right down to it - if I don't want to stop they are gonna have a real fun time trying to make me.

Derk

The E endorsement cdl is just a written test in Georgia. Not a driving test
Correct, I knew this already from a quick search. My question more comes from whether or not they allow me to get a class E. The way they word it, sorta makes it sound like class E is ONLY for emergency vehicles, farmers, and military. Which not being in those categories I wasn't sure they'd let me do such a thing. Do you have a class E? Any experiences with it? I'm hoping to go this route because it seems a little more official like I actually made the attempt to be safe driving a large and heavy vehicle I just don't need a CDL as nothing I'm doing is any more than personal. Pretty much what you coukd equate it to is the family that keeps a truck around but doesn't drive it much and just needs it to go to lowes to pick up big items or take there car to the track every now and again.

Derk

so far have not heard of anyone ever being required to get an CLD (from any state) to drive an LMTV. BTW This question been asked in here and other places numerous times.

That said.... many have also stated...... if for some odd reason you ended up needing cdl. It is really no big deal. little reading.... little study..... go pass the test... even if you dont need it... its worthwhile education.
I was told by a class A license holder I work with its gotten a lot harder and more expensive to get a CDL these days. I also don't want the expense of commercial insurance and keeping up with a medical card for a truck that will sit around a lot and used a couple times a month.

Derk

In many states (including Georgia as far as I can tell) you don't need a CDL for a motorhome or RV regardless of weight. So any FMTV being used and successfully registered as such are exempt no matter what their weight or characteristics are. Throw a sleeping bag and a Coleman stove in the back and that's enough for a lot of the more rural DMV offices.

I mean - it essentially IS a Recreational Vehicle for you. You aren't using it to make money, and it's not a commuting appliance, so it's an RV.

Georgia is clearly listed and the law exempting RV's is shown as: OCGA § 40-5-142

" provided, however, that for the purposes of this article, no agricultural vehicle, commercial vehicle operated by military personnel for military purposes, recreational vehicle, or fire-fighting or emergency equipment vehicle shall be considered a commercial motor vehicle. "

Get RV plates and you're golden as far as I can tell. Keep a copy of that law on hand if some peace officer gives your grief.

There's always www.dirtlegal.com if you have problems with Georgia. I had problems with Oregon and so I have Utah plates.

AFAIK, all the soft cab (pre A1P2 models - which is the only one's you'll even find to purchase anyway) have a GVW of 25,980 lbs. Mine is about the newest and heaviest LMTV that can be purchased on the civilian side (2008 M1079 A1R) and mine has a curb weight of 21,500 lbs unloaded and still carries a GVW of 25,980. You aren't going to purchase an LMTV over 26k because they don't exist for us. Only the military operates the A1P2 armored cab and those are definitely over 26k.
I'll try and look into doing it as an RV but so far from searching that route is quite difficult to do in GA. A lot of horror stories from people converting busses to RVs and the tag office not wanting to let them register it as an RV.

coachgeo

I was told by a class A license holder I work with its gotten a lot harder and more expensive to get a CDL these days. I also don't want the expense of commercial insurance and keeping up with a medical card for a truck that will sit around a lot and used a couple times a month.
only insurance available to you will be called "commercial". The term "commercial" in vehicle insurance world no longer has any connection to being involved in "commerce" it is just a what they call a particular weight classification. Anything weighing between X and Y on the charts has a different name.... ours just falls under commercial.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try and look into doing it as an RV but so far from searching that route is quite difficult to do in GA. A lot of horror stories from people converting busses to RVs and the tag office not wanting to let them register it as an RV.
Just go with www.dirtlegal.com then. Their process is painless and they are extremely helpful. Awesome customer service. If Georgia doesn't want to play ball then give your money to Utah. That's what I did. Apparently my state doesn't want my money and doesn't understand they might as well take it because their "policies" aren't going to stop me anyway. :shrugs:

coachgeo

check your state rules on what constitutes an RV. every state differs. Some require a fixed habitat with fixed sleeping bed, fixed toilet/shower, etc..... while others are more lenient. Makes since..... if you want to call it an RV.... then it needs to be an RV. State got tired of folk abusing the system. Don't blame the state.... blame the assholes in the past who abused the system

Derk

Just go with www.dirtlegal.com then. Their process is painless and they are extremely helpful. Awesome customer service. If Georgia doesn't want to play ball then give your money to Utah. That's what I did. Apparently my state doesn't want my money and doesn't understand they might as well take it because their "policies" aren't going to stop me anyway. :shrugs:
After reading a bit on that website it states military vehicles will get a UTAH plate. I might have to give them a call. I'm curious how all that works. So would I then need to follow UTAHs laws? Does Utah only require a standard license? Hmm may have to call them that's really interesting. I'm gonna try and call the DMV tomorrow about thr class E license and see if I can get one. If not I may just have to call dirt legal. Care to share how it all works?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check your state rules on what constitutes an RV. every state differs. Some require a fixed habitat with fixed sleeping bed, fixed toilet/shower, etc..... while others are more lenient. Makes since..... if you want to call it an RV.... then it needs to be an RV. State got tired of folk abusing the system. Don't blame the state.... blame the assholes in the past who abused the system
Often driving way out to a rural DMV helps a lot. They work with a lot of farmers and so forth and are used to manipulating the rules. DMV's in the city want the "permanent" cooking and sleeping facilities and all that jazz while a rural DMV clerk will often be fine with a sleeping bag and a Coleman stove. Ultimately if you find a clerk that likes your truck and you chat em up a bit they will just pencil whip it for you. At the end of the day it's a judgement call made by a government employee and some will do it and some wont. Shop it around and see what you can get done. If all else fails get Utah plates and call it a day.

Third From Texas

You might look into registration as a "former military vehicle". No CDL but there are some use limitations. You might see if you can fit into that category. Most states treat them sorta like antique plates on a vintage car. I know in Texas it's like $60 for a 5 year plate with no state inspection. But there are use limitations that vary by state, so do some research.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading a bit on that website it states military vehicles will get a UTAH plate. I might have to give them a call. I'm curious how all that works. So would I then need to follow UTAHs laws? Does Utah only require a standard license? Hmm may have to call them that's really interesting. I'm gonna try and call the DMV tomorrow about thr class E license and see if I can get one. If not I may just have to call dirt legal. Care to share how it all works?
Yeah it's super easy. You pay for the titling and licensing online and they send you a form packet. You send them all your paperwork - the only mildly difficult part is the VIN inspection. I have a friend that's a used car dealer in Oregon that was happy to do it for me. There are several options - dealers, DMV's, law enforcement and so forth that's acceptable. Dirt Legal does this all the time and so I assume they have a streamlined process with Utah because they didn't bat an eye at my used car dealer VIN inspection. I had plates in about 30 days and the title about two weeks later.

You do have to pay Utah sales tax but they don't ask for proof of purchase price. You just tell them you paid X and you have to give them 6.85% of that.

Utah does not require a CDL for any LMTV's as they are under 26k.

Anyone asks - it's my RV and it's registered to Utah where I own property (I don't actually). No one is likely to ask though. I literally live across the street from my local police station and they don't care. I have legal plates, legal tags, and insurance. It's an RV so it's more or less expected that it's going to travel and probably have out of state plates.

Depending on what you have to pay Georgia.... it might even be cheaper for tag renewals in Utah.

And I daily drive it 5 days a week to my shop. So it gets plenty of attention. And I don't live in the country. I live in a very upscale neighborhood in a suburb of Portland, OR - been here 40 years and it just happened to turn into that - NOT my preference :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Third From Texas

The way that typically works is that you get it titled and plated in Utah. But once you get home, most states require you to register your vehicle in the state/county where you reside/the truck will be used. The gist is that once it's titled in Utah, GA *should* recognize the classification and it 'should" bes easier to be assigned as the same legal vehicle status. That's the idea, anyway...

Another alternative to unfriendly states is to have the truck become a company car registered in a "friendly" state.. That gets a bit more complicated as you need to start an LLC in the "friendly" state, license/plate/insure the truck in that state. It's quite a process but not difficult and as long as all the paperwork is legit, you can then drive that company truck in all 50 states (ie: reciprocity). There are also some liability benefits having the truck owned by an LLC and not the individual

But as I said, most states will not let you purchase a vehicle out of state and not register it where you live/pay taxes. So be sure to research. In Texas, any Utah plate would have to come off within 30 days of purchase and the vehicle registered in Texas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks