• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Classifieds suggestion - REQUIRE vehicle titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfarber

I suggest that *ANY* vehicle offered for sale or trade on SS *MUST* have a title.

A lot of people would be saved some $$$ and states that will not accept a bill of sale vehicle or have to pay penalties for not registering/titleing a vehicle within a certain date etc etc etc.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And what would you like me to do if I sell my '55 M38A1?

The hillbilly state of Georgia absolutely steadfastly refuses to issue titles on vehicles older than 1963. So all I have is my BOS from the previous owner and my current registration slip.

Can I not sell it on SS?

Cucvnut

i think that's silly why should GL be able to sell stuff to the general good standing non criminal record public that does not have a title. But other SS members cant do the same thing ? explain your theory please. just fyi i did not title my truck with in the time frame CA DMV gave me some penalties but i explained to them that i was unaware i had to register it with even with out a fs 97. I asked to wave the fee's and they did. if your having issues maybe just talking to the people at the DMV might help your situation. your post sounds like you bought something from some one with out a title and ran in to some issues.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
How about my rant lol , what is it with people trucks ,parts ,etc. when it gets to the bottom of the classifieds section they repost it to keep it at the top? I know others have noticed. [thumbzup]

And im with the others, its the buyers problem if they want a MV that doesnt have a title , nothing says you have to own one. Choice not Need. - Jay

Reactions: emr

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea on the title. I also suggest that anything sold have a fresh oil change, up to date maintenance records (hard copy and on CD), a 100 point safety inspection and tires with over 90% tread.

croftonaviation

heck I'm just glad we have a classified section. It is where I recently found my M1009 for a good price. (ad said it had a title). Now for it it get home next month.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not make any sense to require an actual title certificate to sell an MV due to differences in State laws, and laws outside of the U.S. As Clinto mentioned, Georgia does NOT issue titles on a vehicle older than 1963 unless it already has a title. Several other states have similar rules. From what I understand, all states have to accept a valid vehicle transfer from another state. For example, if a vehicle registered in Georgia (valid registration without a title) and is subsequently sold in State B where titles are mandatory, then State B is required to issue a title to the new owner for the vehicle.

If we want to go down this road, what makes more sense to me is to require certification of ownership of the vehicle, vehicle parts, or other items by the seller. In many cases scrapped vehicles, and major portions of vehicles, are sold without any kind of paperwork. Some of these 'paperless' vehicles are later salvaged and restored, sometimes after changing hands several times.

It is the Purchaser's responsibility to know what is being purchased and the applicable laws. If one doesn't know, it is a simple matter to find out.

wozbean

The hillbilly state of Georgia absolutely steadfastly refuses to issue titles on vehicles older than 1963. So all I have is my BOS from the previous owner and my current registration slip.
Actually it's 1985 in GA. I had a 1968 Chevelle from Texas (no title, just bill of sale) to GA (no title, just bill of sale) I have since sold it and the guy in Ohio is trying to title it. Shouldn't be an issue but OH wants everything titled. Not having a title can make the vehicle cheaper as some buyers in some states don't want the hassle of titling it.

paulfarber

First, it would help with End User documentation. The train of custody would easier to follow (follow the titles back to the original SF97/buyer).

Second, it would probably get more people into vehicles as it can be pretty daunting when you read about all the issues that people have.

For the minority of people who would never take it off private property we should forgo the benefits of a title and not having a new guy face an additional $200-$400+ cost?

I think there are more States with this type of requirement:

A Pennsylvania certificate of title will only be issued when the out-of-state title is submitted with the completed Form MV-1

Than have a 'we don't need no stinking title' rule.

None of the posts have said why it would be BAD.. and I believe more states require it than do not.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

It is a bad idea because it would greatly reduce the available vehicles for sale on here. I can buy a truck off of GL, if I keep it I need a title here in Kentucky, but if I sell it and the buyer is from say Vermont, Nevada, New Hampshire, Georgia or any number of states that still accept Bills of sale; I can save him/her 75.00 and just write up a bill of sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks