• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clean engine compartment

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy everyone. My son , Magicman, took me 4 wheeling at Badlands in Attica IN for Fathers Day. He has a M1009 also. We had a blast. Have some awesome video of water coming over the hood of my M1009 2 different time. She's like a Timex she took a licking and keeps on ticking. They had nothing we couldn't tackle.
Now it's time to clean the engine compartment some. I know not to use a high pressure washer but wanted to see if a normal hose and sprayer would cause any problems? I'd make sure to have the engine running when I clean her up.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks

M1009 engine muddy.jpg

Chaski

Howdy everyone. My son , Magicman, took me 4 wheeling at Badlands in Attica IN for Fathers Day. He has a M1009 also. We had a blast. Have some awesome video of water coming over the hood of my M1009 2 different time. She's like a Timex she took a licking and keeps on ticking. They had nothing we couldn't tackle.
Now it's time to clean the engine compartment some. I know not to use a high pressure washer but wanted to see if a normal hose and sprayer would cause any problems? I'd make sure to have the engine running when I clean her up.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks

View attachment 629585[/QUOTE

Don't apply a bunch of cold water to the valley of the engine when it is hot/warm and running. The injection pump tolerance between the head and rotor is extremely tight. It is possible on a hot running engine to shrink the head with cold water and seize the rotor. That would be bad

I'd just give it a bath and start it up. It isn't like there is a distributor to get wet.

richingalveston

Don't leave it running when cleaning under the hood. it only takes a small amount of water getting sucked into the intake to blow up your motor. water does not compress. cover the opeing to the air cleaner and everything else should be ok.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pressure wash mine at least once a month.
I do not leave it running and stay away from the alternators.
Very hot water also.

No issues at all!!
I also have applied NO-OX-ID grease to every single connection and ground so that helps.

Engines a little dirty in the photo.

image.jpg

cucvrus

DSCF7016.jpgDSCF7013 (1).jpgDSCF7014 (1).jpgDSCF7015 (1).jpgThis is an after wash job shot of Terminus M1009. 013.jpgThis is what it looked like for a year before I took the time to clean it up. Everything worked fine and I changed the rear main seal,motor mounts and fuel pump while it was muddy. After that I pressure washed it. I don't think it made a differnce whether it was dirty or clean. It still ran just as good either way.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it runs just fine dirty or clean.

It's a lot easier and nicer working on a clean engine.
Easier to spot leaks, etc. when it's clean.

No sense in rolling around in dirt and grease if you don't have to.