• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cleaning alternator housing and parts

stationjj

This week I pulled my Alternator (Gen1). I can only get 12.6 from Gen1 with no load.

Anyway, the Gen tested out fine. From reading various posts on the site everyone has talked about diode trio or voltage regulator may be the problem.

I figure the work seems simple enough, and $10 in parts. So I took the alternator apart. The insides has layers of dirt from unknown Years. Several parts have started to rust.

I am quite new at this sort of work, but I am trying to learn. My question is what's the best way to clean this alternator and parts. Some of the parts I can replace, others like the coil need cleaning.

Spraying any liquid into an alternator just doesn't seem right. The coils has some spots in it as well. Is a wire brush too aggressive here?

Thanks,

stationjj

Keith_J

No wire brush, solvents like paint thinner are fine. As is nylon or synthetic bristles. Yes, you COULD use water but you want to dry the windings very well. Most importantly, you need to flush any detergent etc from the windings.

Remember, residual oil will attract dirt which will cause problems. Stick with paint thinner, it will remove oil and dirt without breaking down the insulating varnish.

stationjj

I could have a local company rebuild the alternators. If I do that I don't learn anything.

The Alt combo kit from cucv electric is on it's way.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning Alt. I am looking at using paint thinner and a scotch bright.
I will then use air hose and let it dry out overnight.

I welcome any more tips.

Thank You,

stationjj

Keith_J

Don't use Scotch Brite on windings!! Fine on the cases but only non-abrasive on the copper. It is varnished, that is the sole insulation.

wayne pick

In my younger days used to use ether in a pinch when I had no brakecleen, and used it to clean up if I had no Go Jo,:oops:. I then looked up the MSDS on both when I got my hazmat certification with my IUOE local. I now avoid getting that stuff on my hands or inhale any vapors as the cemicals in both are really nasty. CRC electromotive is no better. You got to be carefull with any of these solvents. It gets into the bloodstream and can cause serious neurological damage.

donalloy1

We use a Hot Aquatious Soap at work now to clean Electric Motors. California has made Virgin Solvents illegal? Not as good as Solvent but thats where I live and work.

Either way, use soft brush to remove crud with cleaner that will not leave residue. Then gently blow off all components completely with compressed air. Then it's time for reassembly .

That is how I did mine and all works as it should.

Last edited: