• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning old gauges

JEB

I'm a MV newcomer, and have started work on a 1955 M38A1. It doesn't have a authentic hood number, so I'm having it refinished as an Air Force example in Strata Blue.

I finally sourced the two period correct (as listed in the 1956 parts manual...not later "MS" units) gauges I needed and found a shop to replace the broken Speedo face plastic.

Out of the five gauges, only one (the 0-120 oil pressure gauge) will be new.
A used water temp unit was given to me by a fellow local MV newcomer who has a box of various spares.So I've experienced fellow MV owner generosity already.

So that means the others need to be cleaned...faces as well as cans/bodies (The clear plastic openings that allow the dash lights to illuminate the face).

A couple seem to have slight paint overspray, or it could be just 60+ years of accumulated "crud"...(I think that's the technical term).

So, Windex? Solvents? Soapy Water? Paste wax?
And yes, I know enough not to immerse them or put them in the dishwasher.

Thanks,
John