• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning Surplus Wheels/Tires for an M923

Stranger

I managed to score 16 unused 395/85R20 tires on FMTV wheels. They were stored horizontally on pallets with no top cover, so the flanges are all rusty. Some of the studs look pretty bad. I was able to get NIB replacement flanges for super cheap, but I am having trouble finding the 5/8" studs. There are places selling them at $50 for five studs. That is going to be cost prohibitive if I have to replace 140 of them for one truck. I'm hoping I can salvage some. Is that wise, or...?

Do you have any suggestions on how to clean the rust off and inspect? Vinegar? CLR? It will need to be something that won't damage rubber.

RustyFlange.jpgRusty Studs.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks pretty bad - is there even room to run a die on them? It won't take many of that kind of studs, until the die won't be worth much either. Do you have to take them apart now? Maybe just run the tires out? It doesn't look like you have found the best source for studs yet.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Powered wire brush and hope for the best. Oh and a lot of PB blaster. might need to let it soak in and you might be fused inside the split rim. but good luck.

Last edited:

my blood flows OD

Use a battery post cleaner. You know the wire brush kind? Then then PB blaster and back the nuts off use a parts tumbler, or thread them on a long bolt and use a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or a sand blast cabinet.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run into that issue as well. I used a thread chasing die in a socket on my impact wrench. Makes quick work of it. This die is different than a thread forming die, it has hex sides. Boy does it get hot after doing a few studs. Of course you need to lube with WD40 or something.

Stranger

Took an angle grinder with a cup brush to one of the wheels yesterday. After removing the scale/rust and applying a little oil the nuts backed off easily.

The wheel itself looks to be salvageable with refinishing. The studs on this wheel studs and bolts were so rusted as to be unusable.

Anyone know where I can get a whole bunch of 12417332-001 eccentric wheel studs, or their commercial equivalent?

Last edited:

Stranger

I have cleaned up all the wheels. While I did find a supplier for the studs and nuts, I was able to salvage most all of the originals. The best procedure was surprisingly simple.

I used a 3100 psi pressure washer to remove loose rust and scale. The assembly was laid level on the ground, with the rusty studs pointing up so that there was a "well" that would eventually hold liquid. I then used plumbers putty to seal up the gap between the valve-tube and the wheel. Each "well" holds about a gallon of 20% phosphoric acid solution, which removed all of the rust and replaced it with a nice protective gray iron phosphate coating. After carefully removing and saving the phosphoric acid solution, I neutralized with 10% sodium bicarbonate (baking soda dissolved in water). Everything was then pressure washed again and painted as a final sealing step.

20160328_130330_resized.jpg20160328_130305_resized.jpg

Anyone looking for 18+ really nice tires for their 5-ton?

Last edited:

Stranger

Is phosphoric acid something you can pick up easy?
Hardware stores will have it with the concrete/mortar cleaners. Home Depot sells "Phosphoric Acid Cleaner" distributed by Miracle. Its also used to clean food processing equipment as a sanitizing agent. Businesses that sell to commercial food prep shops and dairies will have it.

Keep in mind that it is typically sold as a concentrated solution (>80%) and any concentrated acid will put you in a world of hurt if you do not follow proper safety procedures.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phosphoric acid is also a main ingredient in Naval Jelly. This is also available at hardware stores and has the advantage of being viscous, like jelly. So, you can put it on and it stays put, like the studs pointing up on the horizontal wheel.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I always thought naval jelly was the stuff I picked outta my belly button with my car keys.
Might be. Have you tried it on rusty parts? Maybe somewhere there is a place where folks go to get their naval "milked" then it is bottled and sold.

Stranger

Phosphoric acid is also a main ingredient in Naval Jelly. This is also available at hardware stores and has the advantage of being viscous, like jelly. So, you can put it on and it stays put, like the studs pointing up on the horizontal wheel.
True. Naval Jelly does work well for removing rust and preventing rust.

There are a couple reasons why I did not use it.

First, it is very slow acting compared to the liquid solution. This is because the phosphoric acid is not "mobile" in the suspension. I would have taken weeks to do the same action on these bolts.

Second, I was in the position of having to treat these wheels out of doors in the sun/rain/come-what-may. Naval jelly will melt and run when exposed to heat or sun. Rain would have washed it away. I also didn't want to leave phosphoric acid in any form sitting out on my property and exposed for any longer than a few hours.

Third, it is difficult to know exactly what concentration of phosphoric acid is actually in the Naval Jelly. Most of the producers list the phosphoric acid content as being anywhere from 10 - 30%. That is a huge range. So, it is difficult to know what concentration of phosphoric acid you are in fact using, which also plays a role in knowing how long to leave it sit on the steel. Using 30% could remove the rust in days, but 10% might take weeks.

Fourth, if you are having to use a lot of Naval Jelly, disposal can be a pain in the butt. In small amounts you can just wash it off on the lawn. For the number of wheels I was cleaning it would have killed my lawn. Washing it off on a concrete surface is not advisable either. Phosphoric acid is used to etch concrete. By using the liquid I could carefully collect the residue for disposal, or for reuse (which I intend to do because I got more of these wheels).

Lastly, Naval Jelly is crazy expensive compared to buying bulk concentrated phosphoric acid.