• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clear side marker lens?

sed6

Are there any clear lenses made for these standard side marker lights? I want to install a pair as reverse lights on my truck. I've searched a bunch with no luck.
Thanks!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have never seen clear lenses for these. I've seen amber, red and blackout lenses but never clear.

I can say that these would not make good back-up lights. Take a lens out of one and turn it on at night. You'll be surprised.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, those bulbs are only about 6watt. I have some 50watt lights that would work well listed in the classifieds.

sed6

Good points all. I had actually planned on finding a brighter bulb (led maybe) to make it a little brighter. I picked that style of light for my reverse lights because I want them to match the look of the others on the truck. Does anyone here do any vacuum forming?

tim292stro

Closest I've seen to what you want is a blackout clearance/marker light/lens - this has a clear outer lens with black paint top and bottom. Then there is a metal light-plate with 9 holes towards the top, and an inner lens (either red or white opaque). This type of light is not intended to "project" light outwards...
DSC_9820-small.jpg

The inner color filter lens and light-plate are removable and you can polish off the black paint with a buffing wheel and elbow grease. Once you have the lenses prepped, you can get two sets (4x total) of "48 LED COB white" parts, each is 12V (2 in series will do 24V in a single housing), and each is 350 lumens (about 600 lumens per 24v fixture when done). That would be about 1200 lumens with two fixtures, about what one modern low beam puts out.
48_LED_COB_white.gif

[EDIT:] It should be noted that if you're doing this for inspection or legal DOT requirements, the lens of the reverse fixture will need to bear the SAE "R" marking, or you are just installing "auxiliary lights"... [/EDIT]

Last edited:

sed6

Closest I've seen to what you want is a blackout clearance/marker light/lens - this has a clear outer lens with black paint top and bottom. Then there is a metal light-plate with 9 holes towards the top, and an inner lens (either red or white opaque). This type of light is not intended to "project" light outwards...
View attachment 567574

The inner color filter lens and light-plate are removable and you can polish off the black paint with a buffing wheel and elbow grease. Once you have the lenses prepped, you can get two sets (4x total) of "48 LED COB white" parts, each is 12V (2 in series will do 24V in a single housing), and each is 350 lumens (about 600 lumens per 24v fixture when done). That would be about 1200 lumens with two fixtures, about what one modern low beam puts out.
View attachment 567585
Thanks! Great info! I wonder if the BO housing is the same as a red and amber? In other words can I maybe just buy a BO lens and polish off the paint?

tim292stro

From my experience it's interchangeable. I've purchased those lenses on eplace before - but I may have most of the NOS inventory in north america... Let me see if I can get to them in my box tonight.

[EDIT:] I should amend my statement, the lens should be interchangeable from like manufacturer to like manufacturer (i.e., Grote-to-Grote, Prestolite-to-Prestolite). [/EDIT]

Last edited:

sed6

I dunno about being "fine" my shrink might tell you differently!

OP, send(PM) me a shipping addy.
gimpyrobb got me hooked up, thanks! I'm going to try to get the black off the lenses and get some leds installed. I'll post my results when done.