• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clicking sound under the dash.Electrical problem

acesneights1

When I am using alot of accesories particularly the snowplow something starts clicking under the dash somewhere and the volt meter drops but I can't figure out what ? The more things I have on the more it does it. ONe of the fusible links going to the lug on the firewall was burned up. I fixed that but no change. I'd post p;ics but limited access as things are p;ost apocalyptic here. No power, communication nothing since saturday. I gotta figure this out. it seems if I got the heeadlights on, the heater going and then use the plow it gets worse. All the wiring for the plow including the power for the control are run directly off the front battery, not the fuse block. What gives ??
I did the doghead relay mod and this is happening while the truck is running.

idM1028

Sounds like your voltmeter relay is toast. The relays under the dash are the starter relay, GEN2 relay, and voltmeter relay. The part # for the GEN2 and voltmeter relays is 12033862.

Last edited:

acesneights1

Thanks guys. Have not been online as we have been without power/phone/communication since last Sat. I bought an Iphone. I drove the truck to work yesterday morning and something started burning and I could not tell what but yeah putting the heater lower helps and when it's clicking the voltmeter goes up and down. One of the relays next to the starter relay was hot.

acesneights1

OK the clicking sound is the glow plug relay. Why is it doing that when the truck is hot and has been running ? It seems as if the glow plugs come on as they please and when I put a heavy draw on the electrical system like the plow pump it makes the glowplug relay start clicking ? Should I take this thing to Church Sunday and have it exercised ??? I am at my wits end. I need this truck. I have no idea what is causing it but if I can't figure it out soon my buddy has an 85 burb with a 6.2 for parts. I'm gonna gut the harness. Something smelled like it was burning as well.

drbeeper17

I have a similar problem with my M1008. Soon after I start the truck the glow plug relay clicks like crazy for about 5-20 seconds and then it stops. It usually occurs after I start driving the truck and doesn't do it all the time. I'm not sure the glow plugs are ever working, but luckly I live in SoCal where temperatures are not a problem.

Please let us know what ends up solving the problem so that others may benefit from this experience.

idM1028

The TM has a troubleshooting section for the glow plugs. The Haynes diesel manual also has some really good flow charts for trouble shooting the GP system. From what I've seen, when people have a problem with something in the GP system its usually one of three things: 1. The glow plugs themselves 2. the glow plug relay 3. the glow plug controller card. There is also a temperature sensor, which from the sounds of it, might be going bad on your truck. I made sure to replace the GP's on my truck a couple of months ago since I knew winter was coming and most of them were shot. To test the GP's attach a test light to the positive stud/clamp on the front battery. Touch it to a good ground. (theres a ground bolt right in front of the battery) It should light up. Then touch the tip to the spades on the GP's. If the light comes, the GP is good. If not its bad.

ranchhopper

I have a similar problem with my M1008. Soon after I start the truck the glow plug relay clicks like crazy for about 5-20 seconds and then it stops. It usually occurs after I start driving the truck and doesn't do it all the time. I'm not sure the glow plugs are ever working, but luckly I live in SoCal where temperatures are not a problem.

Please let us know what ends up solving the problem so that others may benefit from this experience.
Your truck is doing what they call an after glow it cycles the GPs until the sensor tell it that its warm enough I had that on several 1008s I have owned but never a 1009 some might have a different GP control card in them that causes this.

acesneights1

Mine is doing it after the truck has been running and on the highway. I know all the usual things and the GP's a new Duratherms. something is causing them to come on randomly. I am going to disconnect the card and do an override for now and see what happens.

acesneights1

Card has a burn mark around the transistor. I did a GP override. I'd post pics but it was a sloppy job. I have some cleaning up to do but I need the truck tomorrow. Clicking is gone. Hopefully whatever was burning the other day was the board.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks