• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

!CLOSED! Cab Mount Group Buy. NEW OEM FMTV LMTV M1078, M1079, etc

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke with Pat via PM and I believe we are good to go. Moving the thread would severely limit it's visibility as this group buy is only applicable to FMTV's. He has all my contact information, etc.

It's also not *really* a group buy in the strictest sense. I already paid for the goods. I'm not asking for money till they are ready to ship out.

coachgeo

I spoke with Pat via PM and I believe we are good to go. Moving the thread would severely limit it's visibility as this group buy is only applicable to FMTV's. He has all my contact information, etc.

It's also not *really* a group buy in the strictest sense. I already paid for the goods. I'm not asking for money till they are ready to ship out.
Great to hear. Didn't see it as really fitting a group buy rule either. Group Buy rules are in place to help keep vendors from being undercut. This support in turn encourages vendors to support this website.... which pays for it to exist. Your thang does not really fit that since their are no vendors/sources yet for NEW ones in the first place. Though you have now created one.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to hear. Didn't see it as really fitting a group buy rule either. Group Buy rules are in place to help keep vendors from being undercut. This support in turn encourages vendors to support this website.... which pays for it to exist. Your thang does not really fit that since their are no vendors/sources yet for NEW ones in the first place. Though you have now created one.
Yeah sorta. Not calling myself a "vendor" as such. I need cab mounts for my own trucks and as such I have to buy 50 sets to get them and not pay the "vendors" a literal arm and leg for "new old stock" that's typically so old it's worthless or expensive urethane replacements that don't offer the ride quality I'm looking for on my A1R without air ride. I can't get what I want in the market so I'm having them made and sharing my excess. For the forum members I will be doing this for ZERO profit.

Third From Texas

Gotta support this. I'm down for three sets/pairs (I have a set onhand for the spare lower).

Still going to tinker with casting my own but always good to have a backup plan.

Last edited:

INFChief

Curious as to why there is a difference in cab mounts between truck versions?

Please recap which mounts go with which trucks.

Thanks

Third From Texas

Curious as to why there is a difference in cab mounts between truck versions?

Please recap which mounts go with which trucks.

Thanks
The A1R trucks don't have an air ride/suspended cab. No airbags, just a ridgid 3-point mounts. The rear latch rides on a set of rubber bushings (that are the same as the front cab bushings but uses one extra lower puck).

So an A0/A1 truck uses two cab bushing sets forward and air floats the rear. The A1R uses bushing mounts at all three points (plus one extra lower puck on the rear mount).

Pic of A1R credit Alex Wilson (note the hokey puck placeholders where the big bushing would normally go)

289810981_4696433813789493_8984567698868837583_n.jpg

Last edited:

INFChief

The A1R trucks don't have an air ride/suspended cab. No airbags, just a ridgid 3-point mounts. The rear latch rides on a set of rubber bushings (that are the same as the front cab bushings but uses one extra lower puck).

So an A0/A1 truck uses two cab bushing sets forward and air floats the rear. The A1R uses bushing mounts at all three points (plus one extra lower puck on the rear mount).
Any idea why the newer generation trucks don’t have cab air suspension? And, do you know if a A1 could be converted from air to bushings - if the need presented?

Thanks for the info!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea why the newer generation trucks don’t have cab air suspension? And, do you know if a A1 could be converted from air to bushings - if the need presented?
The A1R was built specifically to be field upgraded to an armored cab. It was a late running production change ordered due to the media frenzy in 2006 over troops not having body armor and armored vehicles..... Air ride was just added expense, and probably couldn't handle the weight of the A1P2 cab without a redesign. The A1R also has huge coil over shocks in addition to the normal leaf springs to handle the weight. I think the original A1P2 design kept the air over hydraulic pump, single hydraulic ram, and the cab mounts of the A1R. This was found to be woefully inadequate for the additional weight and was further redesigned into the current models that have an electric over hydraulic pump, dual lift rams, and twin cab latches mounted on hydraulic leveling rams.

I would imagine the A1R parts would all bolt on if you could find or make the parts to do so. It's the entire yoke bolted to the cab, as well as the mounting for the cab latch behind the engine.....

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 50 trucks worth of bushings being manufactured. 100 thick, and 100 thin. That's 4 bushings for each truck (set).

1 set is 2 thick bushings, and 2 thin bushings.

A0 and A1 require 1 set of 4 bushings.

A1R has to purchase 2 sets of 4 bushings because it uses 7 out of the 8 due to it's cab latch mount design being entirely different.

Does that clarify it for everyone?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks