• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CLUNK CLUNK! Somethings coming loose...

QuickSilver

I drove into town and back today with the 1009, and on the way home, I started hearing and occasional "clunk, clunk" from somewhere underneath the truck. I noticed that it still did it even when stopped at a light, so I figured it had to be something that was turning even with the truck sitting still. When I got home, I messed with it a little further, and when I switch from drive to reverse, same "clunk", only a bit more dramatic when switching directions. Guess I'll crawl underneath tomorrow and start looking. Probably start by taking of the dust cover and inspecting torque converter bolts, although I would think that would cause a vibration while driving. :cookoo:

QuickSilver

Lose an exhaust hanger?
I'll check them. I only have two, on on each side with my side exit exhaust. The dramatic thunk that I get when switching directions makes me think drive train though, in which case if it does it even with the vehicle stopped, it really couldn't be anything any further south than the torque converter could it?

QuickSilver

I had the transmission out not long ago, so torque converter bolts would make sense. I couldn't get a torque wrench on them any way I tried, but I did Locktite them and tighten them down as tight as I could with the ratchet.

kevin-m1008

Besides what is already mentioned, Don't forget to check the bolts between the tranny and xfer case, motor mounts, tranny mounts and rear differential

JUNKYARDJOHN

Can't be u-joint or axle joints or any such if the noise is made when it's sitting still.
Bad U-joints will clunk when taking off, or stopping, or changing gears, but ussually not when sitting perfectly still with no torque on the drive line, when the only thing spinning is the transmission. I would sugjest the trouble shooting section of the T-M . John

QuickSilver

Well, I crawled under the truck today, took the dust cover off the bell, and checked the torque converter bolts. All were tight as could be, and no play in anything. I checked the bolts between the transfer case and the trans, and all those were tight. I checked the exhaust hangers, and they were in good shape.

The only thing I found that made me a little suspicious was the bolts mounting the transfer case cross member to the frame. I've attached a picture. I put these back on the way I took them off, but shouldn't the "spacers" be between the cross member and the frame? The reason I ask is that I can get a bit of a "clunk" if I grab my transfer case and give it a heave ho up and down, and while I can't really see it, I think it's the transfer case tapping the floor. The top of the transfer case is really close. Seems like there should be more room there.

Attachments

QuickSilver

Put the spacers above the frame less things to hang down.
That would still put the crossmember in the same position that it is now. I was wondering if the spacers were supposed to be between the crossmember and the frame in order to lower the case down a little bit.