• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch adjustment woes

connectingbar

Installed the tranny today, after my rear main job and I am having problems adjusting the clutch. I read all the tm's on adjustment and followed the perscribed 3.25 measurement from the trans flange to the clutch bell crank then installed the clutch linkage and it seems the bell crank needs to be more like 4-4.25 from the flange to get any adjustment on the linkage. Has anyone adjusted the bell crank that has had the same probs?

Any help would be helpful from an experianced fellow on here.

I must be missing something in the tm.

I have a new flywheel. clutch,pressure plate, and throwout bearing in , so everything is new.

ctmustang

I just helped a fellow ss member do his deuce clutch and we threw away the manual and everything worked out fine after that. No measuring just some logical thinking on how it all works. I learned a long time ago that sometimes you have to question the higher ranks and definately question the directions. Either way your life may depend on it.
Good Luck

Earth

You may have to move the arm on the tranny a notch or two. I swapped motors on my shop van recently and that's what I needed to do to get the adjustment right.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently swapped out my transmission and replaced the clutch and pressure plate. 3-1/4 inches is about where mine is at.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
when I did mine last summer, I had to remove the arm and move it a notch or two on the tranny as well. When everything is adjusted properly, the clutch doesn't grab until you're almost completely off of the pedal.

connectingbar

Thanks guys, got a little angry so I walked away for a bit ( learned a long time ago from my father "just step back for a minute and when you return it will go back together very easy" Wish he were still here. So I went to help a friend with his fuel filters and measured his and it was @ 3.25.

Question is, with the linkage off , is that when you measure it? mine has a little slop fore and aft so do you measure it when the throwout bearing just touch the pressure plate fingers or when it is back away form them?

DieselBob

Question is, with the linkage off , is that when you measure it? mine has a little slop fore and aft so do you measure it when the throwout bearing just touch the pressure plate fingers or when it is back away form them?
You measure it when the throwout is just touching the fingers of the pressure plate

connectingbar

Think I have it!

The freeplay by hand measures @1.5 but with foot pressure it feels @ 2.

Just need to bleed the brakes, pull the forward rear axle shafts and install the front splined caps fom my lockout hub install and get it out on the road.. It is nice to hear run again after some time ( out of time working) and after my rear main project. Everything sttms ok, I went thru the gears with the tc in neutral and no funny sounds or leaks. . Just a note, when you have the driveshafts off the tranny and front end USE NEW GRADE 8 LOCKING BOLTS AND USE LOCKTITE!!!! when you have the center pans off it is very easy to tighten the short driveshaft that often goes un noticed..

I will get some pics up in a few days when it is back together

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks