• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch adjustment

IMA944T

Today I was driving and noticed clutch pedal has no free play. Clutch doesn't slip but if pedal is pushed about a inch then it disengages clutch. I think it should have couple inches of free play, am I correct? So my question, is the adjustment procedure for doing it the same for most mechanical clutches?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the clutch releases in the first inch of travel, you risk snapping the pressure plate fingers off. Good idea to adjust it down a bit.

TsgtB

I guess i'm barely getting enough pedal... It goes to the floor and will engage about 3 inches off the floor....
From under the truck, it looked like I needed to screw OUT the linkage to get more pedal action, but i'm already seeing a LOT of threads o the shaft.

dmetalmiki

Sounds like your about due a new clutch as it has reached the extreme of adjustment. If there is no thread left to adjust out to Free play it will eventually just drag all the time. The wear facter and thus the pedel hieght depends on the type of clutch construction. Some wear Low, some wear High.

TsgtB

Actually, i'm at the other end... she's traveled about 3 feet. New clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearings.... (and newly rebuilt engine)

What I am wondering is, do I need to take off the linkage end, and shorten the linkage, or do I need to take the linkage arm "off" and rotate it, a notch or two..
It's my first engine swap, and I figured it should have been "close" when I took the engine out...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem you are running into is the clutch manufacturers are not making the clutches the same thickness.

Crusher bought a new clutch kit at the Evansville MVPA national show. We measured its thickness VS a take-out we have from parting a truck. The new one was not as thick as the used take-out clutch.

Go figure.

Oh, they were both the ceramic style(some are not ceramic, I didn't think about that till just now).

TsgtB

This is the clutch that was packaged in 7/92 in the crate with the depot rebuilt engine.... the "pads" actually look like copper.
It appeared to be very close thickness to the one I took out.

TsgtB

On a good note.... for not running in 22 years, it started in less than a minute and purrs like a big @$$ kitten...!!!