• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch disk ID Qs-short notice!

LanceRobson

I'm going to pick up an M35A2 of ours that leaked tranny oil on the clutch and may have damaged the clutch disk and pressure plate. I'm not experienced with cluthes.

The tranny began leaking after 3-4 hours of highway driving on a hot day. It has been on a lot of trips before without leaking but none of those had more than 30 minutes at high speed with the other mileage at lower speeds.

The vent cap bounces up and down and rotates but I have not yet pulled it to be sure the rubber is not stuck.

I've got a new pressure plate, pilot bushing and clutch disk. I also have a known good tranny and a serviceable used clutch disk along with a just resurfaced flywheel.

I just opened the box with the new clutch disk and it looks like a 5-ton disk to me. It does not have the second round plate in the center with the springs, just a single steel plate like a 5-ton disk. Unlike the 5-ton disks I've seen before which had pads of friction material all the way around the outer rim this one has only six pads arranged in three pairs. There are no part numbers on the disk or box.

The new parts came from TNJ Murry.

The input shaft hole and splines are the correct diameter for the deuce input shaft. The length of the center splined hub is 1-3/4" on the used disk and 1-1/2" on the new disk.

I don't have any way to post a picture tonight.

Since the new disk lacks the second smaller disk and springs but has only six friction pads it seems (to my not so knowledgeable eyes) to have traits of both a deuce and 5-ton disk.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if the deuce and 5-ton input shafts are the same size?

If need be, I'll put the used disk in to get it home.

Lance

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Drop the level of gear oil in the trans and if its the 5 puck clutch(metal/ceramic pads), spray some brake clean on it. Then head on your way! It happened to me twice, kept draining fluid till it stopped soaking the clutch. Been fine for over a year now. Not sure what to say about the new clutch.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the deuce and 5-ton input shafts are the same size?
No, they are different! I know for sure that the Deuce's are 1.50"-10spline while the 5ton I guess are 1.75" - 10spl. (?)

Also measure the disk O.D., it should be 13.0"

G.

LanceRobson

The ODs are identical. We're out the door in a few moments. It is going to be near record hot for the next few days. It should be an OK trip and repair, though.

I feel a little better having the option of a new one and a known good used one.

Thanks

Lance

LanceRobson

My son Chris and I got back from the repair and the drive home about 2 hours ago.

The pressure plate had failed and only two of the four fingers were fully withdrawing the plate from the clutch disk. The clutch disk was OK wear-wise but the flywheel showed some discoloration and crazing from overheating and the pilot bushing was worn down to a thin rim of crumbled bronze.

I didn't have a bushing puller but the bushing was so thin that it took only about three miuntes work with a chisel to break up what was left and get it out. The rear main seal and carrier gasket showed no signs of leaking which was good because I didn't have them if they had been.

We put the new pilot bushing, clutch disk and pressure plate in along with the resurfaced flywheel we had brought along. The transmission oil level was higher than it should have been. It was less than a knuckle from the hole. When we pulled the vent (the vent cap bounced up and down and rotated like it should have) it took a little pressure for the rubber seal to break free. A few minutes later I blew through it again and it again stuck before venting. I'm guessing the rubber is kind of sticky.

We put in a good clean vent, drained some oil and adjusted the clutch. Start to finish it took about 5 hours in a hot parking lot. We drove it 60 or so miles last night and the last 130 miles this AM. We checked for transmission leakage several times and everything is fine. Even with all Interstate driving the transmission was never too hot to lay my hand on.

Thanks for the input to my questions, the clutch disk i was concerned about is a deuce disk and works fine. It's time to do away with the vents and run hoses up to the cab interior of firewall.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks