• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch pedal travel to engagement

Rattlehead

What are you guys seeing for clutch pedal location (distance from floor) before your clutch engages? Does the deuce, when free travel is adjusted per the manual, follow along with most other mechanical clutches in that, the more the clutch is worn, the farther from the floor it engages? Will a new clutch and pressure plate engage close to the floor? Just trying to gauge my clutch's wear.

Westech

CPL
the clutch pedal should not move MORE THEN 2 INCHES. use sone 2 inch wide tape and wrap it arount the pedal rod to see how far it goes down befor it disengages. there is about a 1/2 inch of leway in movment but thats it. I just did the clutch and all that last week and there not joking you must have the travel right on the money or its all over.

Westech

CPL
it will stay part disengaged and will toast the clutch. you might not feel it slip but it will ever so much. the pads on the clutch ( 5 of them on most) are only the size of a pop can top and are made to be on or off not to be sliping at all! you never never want to "ride the clutch" in a star type clutch disk you will kill it! there is just no room for play in that type of system.

Rattlehead

I don't understand this measurement and how it applies to the clutch? The adjustment is for clutch pedal freeplay. That is just to ensure that the clutch is fully engaged (locked in) when your foot is off the pedal, and not holding it partially disengaged. So how then would having MORE freeplay keep it from fully engaging? My thinking is that if you had too much freeplay, you run the risk of the clutch not being able to fully disengage when pushed to the floor, meaning you cant get it in gear, etc.

My question is not on the clutch pedal freeplay, but where in the travel range does the clutch engage? At the top of the travel, near the floor, or somewhere in between? Mine seems more towards the top of the travel, which seems to me that it is more worn than not, based on past experience. They tend to engage close to the floor when a fat disc and pressure plate are installed. As these wear, the engagement spot seems to work its way higher in the travel.

JohnnyReb

I have to go along with Rattlehead; I am confused.

It appears to me that as the clutch engages nearer to the top with less "bite" then this would be an indication of wear. I have driven many different vehicles, new and old, and the newer the clutch, the more "bite" or less travel from bottom to engagement. Would really like if others could share their experience in this matter....

Please understand that I am not taking issue with Westech; I know you are imparting information and I certainly appreciate it. But still need info. on how much travel is normal before the clutch shows significant wear.

Thanks

Robb

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks