• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch Problems

Dreadlord

I have a 1968 M35-A2, the clutch has started slipping in the higher rpm's. I've been trying to sort through all the tm's but can't find any usefull help. I'm not sure if it's a wet clutch or dry, becuse looking through the inpection plate i can feel oil in the bottom of the bell housing. Not sure if i have a rear main seal leak or theres suppose to be oiul there.
PLEASE HELP!!

FormerNewMVGuy

Make sure the fording plug is NOT in ! The hole in the bottom of the bellhousing should be open!

And yes, if the trans is over full ,it can cause problems

crazywelder72

do yourself a favor and dont rush into changing the clutch. I had a Injection pump issue that was slowly adding fuel to the crank case causing it to flood. when this happens it pours diluted oil out the rear main seal and or the front main seal. If it comes out the rear main the clutch gets soaked and will slip.

Check your oil level in the motor. if the trans is overfull it will build up pressure and leak out the front and soak the clutch.

Someone told me to remove the inspection cover and unload a few cans of brake clean up there. it's hard to get the spray past the pressure plate but it can be done. Then try to drive being gentile on the clutch, as soon as you feel it slip, let off the throttle.

if and when you have isolated it down to needing to do the clutch. there is plenty of info and it's not a difficult job. I am in process of doing mine right now.

thehaas

napa sells dye you put in oil then put truck in dark room with black light and leaks show up yellow ,they have for antifreeze also .shine up into bell housing

Dreadlord

Well I believe it stared when I had a battery issue. I've had my deuce in all kinds of off-road situations from really steep hill climbs to very deep water and never has it leak out of the main seal. Well the other day I was roll starting her and was in first when I should've been in reverse b/c I was rolling backwards out of my shop. I didn't figure it out the first time but i was starting the motor in reverse order. Never knew a motor would do that, so I'm thinking it cause increased block pressure or something along those lines to force the oil out the rear seal. What do you guys think?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a Multifuel will run backwards - and oil pressure will remain ZERO (!!!!!!) ... besides other problems!!!!!

Not saying it wasn't engine oil in your clutch, but.....
keep in mind that there is no seal for the transmission input shaft, just a (RH) coarse-threaded portion inside the bearing retainer. Now, as effectively as it holds oil INSIDE; if that input shaft turns in the wrong direction it will "pump" out a small stream of oil, almost immediately!

So, how long was your engine turning backwards - and the clutch engaged??
30 seconds would be sufficient....

G.

Dreadlord

Yeah it was long and that makes alot of sense, because there wasn't alot of oil in there but enough to make the clutch slip. It's insane that the motor will run backwards, i've never even heard about that and i've been working on trucks, cars, and bikes for 15 years. I guess it's a testament to how good these things were made. I've learned alot from my Deuce!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks