• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coast Guard Festival Car Show

jim-m35a2

I entered my Deuce in the car show today in downtown Grand Haven. It was the only green machine there and they loved it. Lots of compliments. The little guys liked to get their pictures taken setting behind the wheel. I met one older gentleman that wored for Continental in Muskegon and helped in the design of the Multifuel. I also met several guys that use to work on them in Nam.

Jim
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensary

Attachments

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I rowed in to the Coast Guard Festival in Grand haven in a life boat from the CGC Acacia back in 1978. The festival was a blast and I still have some fond memories of the girls in the miss Coast Guard contest they held. :wink:

Glad that you had the duece there it looks great

jim-m35a2

No, I did not go on the USCGC Mackinaw (WLBB-30). The tours did not start until Monday at 6:00pm. I toured the old Mackinaw a few years back with my kids. They are nice ships. I believe the tours run until this Saturday.

The Commander of the Coast Guard Post walked by my Deuce Sunday, pointed at it ans said, "Awsome."

Armyman...there are still girls at the Festival. Lots of them. :lol:

Jim
________
Coach Handbags

Last edited:

jim-m35a2

Rountree,

Was your buddy on the Mac when the Captian ran it into the pier here a couple of years ago? I think the Captain now commands the rowboat Armyman came into Grand Haven in back in 1978.

Jim
________
How To Roll A Blunt

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would think he would not even get the lifeboat for running into a pier. We used to just stick it in the ice and walk off over the ice to the dock. I did the special sea detail helm work and believe me some of the tricks you need to know to steer one of those things are incredible. Single screw cutter without a bowthuster was an interesting thing to steer. We got a bowthruster installed in the yard and then even the Ensigns could dock the thing.

What I really remember about the girls was the night on the beach :roll:

jim-m35a2

One of the Mackinaw's unique features in the US Coast Guard fleet is the use of azipods for her main propulsion. These, coupled with a 550 hp (410 kW) bow thruster, makes the ship exceptionally maneuverable. Azipods also negate the need for a traditional rudder, as the azipods can turn 360 degrees on their axis direct thrust in any direction. The Mackinaw also lacks a traditional ships steering wheel. Much of the ship's technology, including the azipod thrusters is from Finnish Maritime Cluster.

The Mackinaw got off to a rocky start before being commissioned. In an unfortunate mishap, the Mackinaw struck a seawall in Grand Haven, Michigan while enroute to her new home port of Cheboygan, MI on December 12, 2005 while being piloted by the XO, LCDR Nathan A. Podoll. The accident caused a 10-foot (3.0 m) dent in the bow of the Mackinaw on her starboard side. Shortly after the accident, Captain Donald Triner, the commanding officer of the Mackinaw, was temporarily relieved of duty pending an investigation into the accident. The accident did not delay the ship's scheduled arrival in her new home port. She arrived on December 17, 2005. Captain Triner was later permanently relieved of duty and replaced by Captain Michael Hudson, who was replaced in turn by Cmdr. John Little in April 2006.

The pilot ended up at the Coast Guard Academy teaching engineering. I did not see what happened to the Captain.

The beach and girls..............both are still here :wink:

Jim
________
red head girl Cam

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks