• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

Dave08

I have a problem with a neighbor that does not like my collection of military trucks, trailers, and parts. They continue to turn me in to our illustrious Code Enforcement Guys. The Code Enforcement Officer does not return my calls and I live in an area that does not have a home owners association. I own a 1/2 acre area with my house on part of it and my lot next door is where I park my vehicles. Has anyone else had these problems with meddiling neighbors that seem to want to start WW III. The funny part is they do not even live in my neighborhood but their property backs up to mine. They have even used other people's names to turn in complaints against me. Let me know if anyone has had these problems and what they did to resolve them. Talking with these people do not work. They are not honorable and out and out lie. At my wits end and I have not even started my build yet.
Dave08

mckeeranger

I would make sure I was legal, then invite the Code folks over for a visit. Once they verify you are legal, they should leave you alone.

At least that's the way it works around here.

Tlauden

I would make sure I was legal, then invite the Code folks over for a visit. Once they verify you are legal, they should leave you alone.

At least that's the way it works around here.

That right there sounds like a pretty fool proof plan, if everything check out good then let them complain as much as they want, who cares at that point.

Hopefully they don't go and try to get some rule/law/code passed that would screw ya over, but I guess even then the trucks you had would be grandfathered in, it would just put a damper on extending your fleet..

Best of luck to ya! And look at the bright side, if they are attempting to start WWIII with ya, at least you got the right kind of vehicles:)

A

A/C Cages

If you are really from TITusville then you know where im talking about, Take them for a ride to the underpass on the Banana River. Drop them off...lol

Ok dont actually do that, the fish might get sick..lol

Like they said above, check with the local code officers. Im sure there isnt a thing wrong with them there. not many areas where you live have restrictions unless you are in the HOAs which you said you are not.

TexAndy

Have you tried talking to them?

See what their gripe is. See if you can live with whatever it is they want from you as an accomodation.

If you can, do it. If you can't, well... then I guess we'll be waiting for the updates with pics. From what little you've posted about them, they don't really sound like the reasonable types. But it'll look good in court later...

Be sure to put some kind of game camera or other recording surveillance on your trucks. Lots of these types of people will resort to anonymous vandalism if they can't get satisfaction through through the local law.

KsM715

Like other have said, make sure YOU are legal in having your stuff parked there. If so get some security on them ASAP,then persue the "they use other peoples names to make complaints" and if you have proof of that, file harassment charges. Just make sure anything you do is on the up-and-up.

A

A/C Cages

Night vision digital trail cameras are your best friend. Mount them just about 4-5 feet high to capture their entire face and body if they come near the trucks. Unlike regular cameras which only caputre the tops of their heads.

usmctopgun

Seen a handful of threads on this lately, glad I don't live anywhere like this.

Sounds like a good suggestion about possibly introducing them to MVs, of course I'm sure that if they are the type to b**ch about stuff in your yard, and you are not even part of an HOA, then its likely they won't come around...

Marcel

You might be screwed if you park them on a residental lot. I've been turned in for having my backhoe/loader near my house. The town code that I violated was having construction equipment in a residential neighborhood when not being used for an ongoing construction job. The other code violation was for storing a vehicle over a certain weight in a residential area. Now I park my vehicles behind a hill on my property and no complaints. Out of sight out of mind. Some people are just jerks and if the town gets a call from one they have to honor the request. If officials want to bust your b**ls they can find some bs way to do it. Oh yeah, in my town you are only supposed to have so many unregistered vehicles in a residential area.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could ask them if they prefered you build a multi-unit rent subsidized rental on the property or park your trucks on it .

TexAndy

You might be screwed if you park them on a residental lot. I've been turned in for having my backhoe/loader near my house. The town code that I violated was having construction equipment in a residential neighborhood when not being used for an ongoing construction job. The other code violation was for storing a vehicle over a certain weight in a residential area. Now I park my vehicles behind a hill on my property and no complaints. Out of sight out of mind. Some people are just jerks and if the town gets a call from one they have to honor the request. If officials want to bust your b**ls they can find some bs way to do it. Oh yeah, in my town you are only supposed to have so many unregistered vehicles in a residential area.
And that's kind of the problem. In most places, just about everyone is violating some kind of local ordinance whether they know it or not.

Not a problem so long as you don't have neighbors who want to rat you out.

Unfortunately, this often means not having any neighbors at all. Most human beings don't know how to mind their own business very well. And it only takes one neighbor to make the phone call.

Marcel

And that's kind of the problem. In most places, just about everyone is violating some kind of local ordinance whether they know it or not.

Not a problem so long as you don't have neighbors who want to rat you out.

Unfortunately, this often means not having any neighbors at all. Most human beings don't know how to mind their own business very well. And it only takes one neighbor to make the phone call.

TexAndy I think that most people do mind their own business but there is always one as****e in every crowd. I'm lucky that I have enough land with the right topography to satisfy the beauracrats.

Welder Sam

Bring'em to my place. Ive got 2 neighbors. One that is as close as family and one that i wouldn p*ss on if they were on fire. Nobody gets to say anything abt whats in my yard/field tho. Living 5mi from nothing is nice like that

mtruitt1971

i am a motorcycle rider and i currently am riding a suzuki intruder with 2" open pipes
i leave for work @ 630 am 4 days a week
when i first bought my house in january of 2010 no one complained when spring rolled around i got a letter from some coward (no name and no contact info) posted on my mail box complaining about how loud i was and how rude i was.
and made it a point that i needed mufflers.

well, 18 months later i still don't know who left the letter and after talking to the police chief (who also rides ) he asked if i rev it late at night, early morning, all day? i said no his response was simple " cool, F#$K 'EM"

since then i have hosted a BBQ for my motorcycle group, and no problems.

just make sure you are legal and then there is nothing they can do

just for ha ha's who was there first?

"my new neighbor don't like my big red barn, '47 ford, bullet holes in the door, broke down motor in the front yard" mongomery gentry "what do you think about that"
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJixs2FoZ_Y&ob=av2e[/media]

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about posting photos of the vehicles, parts, and equipment. Let's see what they're complaining about.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said, find out what your codes are. It's very possible that you are in violation.

If you are in fact in violation, you'll have to get into compliance. You may could get a variance but if you've already got complaints that could be hard to do. Sometimes the only options are to move your stuff or sell it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks