• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coil Question

Baron3-6

Hi all, had a question about coils.
Just changed mine out with a new one from M-series Rebuild (good guys to deal with - got the electronic ignition mod as well). When I Ohm'd the old and new coils here's what I found:

New coil: 12.0 +/- 0.2 Ω

Old coil: 6.2 +/- 0.1 Ω

Is the "old" coil burned out or just the wrong type? I believe it has a MFG date of 1989...could this be for a later M35 or M151 with a slightly different 24V system? Stock number on the old coil is 19207-11663066 (see picture).

Thanks.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
M151 and M37 are the same.. larger 2.5 ton/5 tons are larger. Coils are NOT interchangeable between <1 1/4 ton and >2.5 tons. They do seam to die in the <1 1/4 tons due to sealed system. Heat and moister kill them.

TGP (IL)

My m151 a2 has burned out 3 coils. I do not leave switch. Anu ideas ?
"
Your Dist. lines from the air cleaner elbow hooked up?
They provide fresh air to the Dist. for cooling and vapors.
Also make sure your system voltage does not exceed 27-28 Volts Max.
Over charging can cause this and other problems.
Tom

dls12sf

coil m151

Tom, Your right on that elbow pipe/hose is missing. Didn't realize it's importance.
"[/QUOTE]
Into the face of adversity, simply charge.

pjwest03

Hi all, had a question about coils.
Just changed mine out with a new one from M-series Rebuild (good guys to deal with - got the electronic ignition mod as well). When I Ohm'd the old and new coils here's what I found:

New coil: 12.0 +/- 0.2 Ω

Old coil: 6.2 +/- 0.1 Ω

Is the "old" coil burned out or just the wrong type? I believe it has a MFG date of 1989...could this be for a later M35 or M151 with a slightly different 24V system? Stock number on the old coil is 19207-11663066 (see picture).

Thanks.
That coil resistance is a function of the voltage it was designed for most likely.

Even after the change from 6V to 12V (eons ago) many of the auto makers continued to use 6V coils and added a ballast resistor.

dls12sf

Thabks ffor the advice, I'll give M series a try as the last coils were those chrome ones the seller claims to be made in the U.S My first coil. original, was burnt due to switch left on. Don

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That coil resistance is a function of the voltage it was designed for most likely. Even after the change from 6V to 12V (eons ago) many of the auto makers continued to use 6V coils and added a ballast resistor.
The reason some of the auto makers continued to use 6V coils with a ballast resistor was to create a hotter spark during starting. The resistor was bypassed when starting, providing 12V to the coil. When the key was returned to the run position, the ballast resistor cut the voltage to 6V.

GUNNY 155

The guys are right. Never leave the ignition switch on, it will fry the coil. Heat is a killer make sure the distributor lines are connected and connected properly, the direction of the fittings at the air horn makes a difference. Aftermarket coils are junk. All lessons I learned the hard way. Last I will add this one. Always carry a spare one with you.