• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Advance Solenoid

teteacher101

Just thought I would post this as an FYI for those not as familiar with the cold advance solenoid replacement (like me). If you plan on replacing it you might want to get any seals/gaskets/etc., in advance for the top of the pump cover as they are most likely going to be crusty-especially since you have to remove the fuel shut off solenoid in order to get enough clearance to remove the cold advance solenoid. I had to use a couple of small gaskets that are for small engine carbs as the isolator washers on the studs for the solenoids since I didn't plan far enough ahead.
The next debacle that I ran into as being unfamiliar with the cold advance solenoid is when I compared the new one with the old one I had what looked like a "gasket" on the end of the new one as you can see in the picture. I thought hmm that's interesting the old one doesn't have that so it must have disintegrated over the years. Nope, I was way wrong!
Once I got it all back together it would start and die, wouldn't rev up then die, etc., just like it was running out fuel. Hmmmm. I was really pulling my hair out over this one and after some looking around online and thinking about the pump operation an then realizing I left that "gasket" on the end-it kind of hit me-Hey I wonder.... So that little gasket at the end is for shipping, to keep the shut off slide from falling out-duh.

Attachments