• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold as ice!

CROM

Alright, Gents; here's the problem: Last week I was TDY to sunny Florida and unfortunately had to let the M1009 sit here in Iowa in temps between 0-15 F. Now it won't start. It turns over fine, but seems to weaken as I keep the key turned. I purchased a block heater (the magnetic kind) and some Diesel 911 in case of gelling. This is my first diesel engine and, obviously, first coooooold weather with one. Any of you old hats out there have some neat tricks so I can go play in the snow? Getting into the garage would be a pretty big ordeal due to the ice/snow/incline...

dstang97

If your glow plugs are 100% I would look into warn batteries or starter. Sometimes a bad starter has the same symptoms of weak batteries.

CROM

Thanks, dstang. Both batteries are good, as well as the glow plugs. I was hoping it wasn't the starter. Going to let the block heater cook for a bit, then try 'er again.

ralbelt

Some type of heat source under the engine.You could use silicone spray in the intake. Mine started right up in 20 degree weather after sitting 3 weeks, today was the first tine I had to cycle the plugs twice , it was 4 degrees.

OL AG '89

Are you cycling glowplugs?
if it doesnt start first try, shut off cycle glow plugs and try again
Don't crank too long each cycle
you should start no problem after 3rd or 4th cycle
If still nothing try to let it cook on the block heater for a day or so
might try a thermal blanket in engine compartment, just don't tell the wife!!!
or if you have a poncho liner put it over the engine and let it cook with the block heater
last suggestion move to a warmer climate.....LOL

Milbikes

My M1008 has new glow plugs and new batteries. It was 4 degrees the other day, and it started right up. My cold start idle solenoid and advance does not work, and it still fired up. If the cranking speed on yours slowed down fairly quickly, it could be weak batteries. They may show 12+ volts on a meter, but a load test will show the true health of the batteries.