• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold/fast idle sensor...

ragedracer

I was messing around under the hood and found that my cold and fast idle switch sensor was disconnected. I'm wondering if there is a certain direction the plug needs to be oriented? I can connect it either way - IOW, does it matter which color wire ends up going to which terminal on the sensor?

Maybe this will help on the cooler mornings.. I was wondering why my idle never seemed to be faster when it was cold!

Also, found a broken GP wire. I'm putting all new GP's in on Friday, so I would have found it anyway, but I wonder how it will start now....

rr

m38inmaine

It makes no difference which way it goes on, all it does is pass the 12v through to the IP.

Last edited:

ragedracer

Well, it looks like the solenoid or whatever you call it isn't working. Didn't change my cold start idle at all. Is there an easy way to test it?

tt

motormayhem

Well, it looks like the solenoid or whatever you call it isn't working. Didn't change my cold start idle at all. Is there an easy way to test it?

tt
Check for power at the solenoid. If there is power when the engine is cold and it isn't moving it is bad. Could also be the sensor. Possibly why it was unplugged?

ragedracer

Checked it out.. When cold, it is "clicking", also clicks when I put power to it from the +post of the front battery per the TM. Looks like its bad though. Even though it clicks and the shaft moves, it has no "holding power". It hits the little plate on the throttle but can't move it. Looks like its due to be replaced.

rr

m38inmaine

The plunger does not have enough power to push the throttle lever on it's own, you have to hold it ahead as if pushing down on the pedal and let the plunger advance and see if it holds. It may be out of adjustment as well, you can screw it in to lengthen it. I had this happen on mine, two or three turns clockwise and it works fine. I also had to tweak the plunger bracket so it hit the throttle lever straight on.

ragedracer

The plunger does not have enough power to push the throttle lever on it's own, you have to hold it ahead as if pushing down on the pedal and let the plunger advance and see if it holds. It may be out of adjustment as well, you can screw it in to lengthen it. I had this happen on mine, two or three turns clockwise and it works fine. I also had to tweak the plunger bracket so it hit the throttle lever straight on.

That was it! It took about 2 turns and now it runs a little faster when cold.

Thanks!

rr

rfischba1

Question; Is this also called a temp sensor? Where can I buy one? My truck is hard to start when cold and my mechanic sain he needs to replace the temp senser

trooper632

Mine will engauge on at startup but it will not disengauge when it gets warm.
I have pulled the wire off at the ip and the fast idle goes off.