• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start and dies after 10-15 seconds

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking for a solid opinion from someone that has had the same problem , cold start , truck runs for 10-15 sec. and dies , appears to be losing prime , hard to start after but will start , truck has no problems when hot, restarts no problem , lift pump and box filter element have been changed , no fuel leak that I could find, filter housing or IP?

Hasdrubal

On mine, it was a filter base leak allowing fuel into system, but not enough to see a fuel leak on ground. Try cracking the fuel cap to release vacuum after you shut down for the day. This will allow a quick start in the morning without putting excessive wear on the starter from all the cranking. I drilled a tiny hole on the cap, as an interim measure until I sourced a new filter base. Hole is still there years later, hasn't affected anything negatively.

dstang97

I had the exact issue. mine was a drain back issue. A 15 dollar check valve fixed that issue. I pulled my hair out on that problem.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned, loosen the cap to equalize the pressure. Try parking overnight with the nose of the truck downhill, IOW, lower than the back end, and see if it still does it the next morning. If it starts and runs great [parked nose-down] I would suspect the filter base has a weep.

Adam86CUCV

Mine was hard to start if it sat for a day. It turned out to be a small crack in the rubber fuel line from the tank right after it meets the passenger side frame rail and heads towards the fuel pump. Now it starts as quick or quicker than a new truck.

dependable

Aside from the above mentioned fuel filter base, which is usually the problem, there could be a small leak anywhere in fuel line. Have had the metal line develop a pin hole along cross member behind cab due to vibration, rotted and loose rubber lines like above poster. If you presurize the fuel tank (air nozzel & a rag) often you can find leaks not normally detectable.

M1008driver

I would guess your fuel filter is the problem. I changed mine to the Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter and use a WIX Part Number:33472 for the filter. This is also the CUMMINS 3286503 fuel filter which I find harder to get. It was not hard and worth doing IMHO. There is no fuel heater, so the plug has no where to connect. Never had a problem in the winters of Montana.

There are other filters people use here if you do a search. When I recently changed my fuel filter I filled it up with ATF before screwing the filter on again. My M1008 never smoked and ran better.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Something easy to check is the rubber fuel line going to mech. lift pump,mine was bent to tight and as time went by it weakened and started to kink more and more.Caused me all kinds of problems.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the feed back folks, I did a little more looking and came up with a small leak from the filter housing , but only when it was running, as luck would have it another OE filter housing fell in my lap and I installed it, problem gone , if I have a leak on any of my 3 trucks again I will go with the Stanadyne spin on with the primer pump and heater,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks