• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start assist

kipman

I got mine from John Tennis, aka jatonka, or you can find them at a heavy equipment shop, but try to buy from John, cheap and supports the cause.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best thing to do...and the cheapest...is to buy a can of STARTING FLUID from your local NAPA or other auto parts store. Keep the can in the tool box or behind the seat back in the corner. Give the air intake a little sniff right before you crank it. Works every time for me...and cheap, too. Why keep depleting and replacing those cannisters when you can buy a can of starting fluid so cheaply?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly what I started doing. Went to recover one last night (hauling on a trailer) and it was 7 degrees! If you sit in the passenger seat with the window down you can shoot starting fluid into the intake at the fender and still reach the starter button. Another person works best but it's pretty easy by yourself.

JDToumanian

Why keep depleting and replacing those cannisters when you can buy a can of starting fluid so cheaply?
Unless you live where it's perpetually cold, those cannisters should last for years, as the ether system is only activated when the coolant and ambient temperatures are below certain levels - usually 45 degrees for the ambient, I can't remember what it is for the coolant.

The automatic ether start systems squirt only a tiny measured amount directly into the intake... not through the air cleaner and filter. All the cans of "starting fluid" I've seen contain "upper cylinder lube" so you are ruining your air filter by contaminating it with oil.

Many diesels have been destroyed with arbitrary squirting of ether.... people use way too much.

Jon

Armada

The cold start ether injection on my M35 never had to have the cylinder refilled or replaced. I have used the same tank for the last 4 winters and it wasn't full when I got it.

kipman

I agree, and I think the cylinders are pure ether, starting fluid is Low ether content, used to be better, me thinks lowered by gov rules to stop the huffing crowd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks