• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start "clank" finally solved...

Asmoday

Hello all,

I just wanted to share something I learned this weekend which solved a lingering question I posted about back in Dec. of 2011.

See thread...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/79104-figuring-out-new-sound-here-we-go-lol.html

Lately over the last month I have noticed the glow plug cycling in the morning on a cold start seemed a little odd so I decided to finally do the GP Relay rewire bypassing the resistor on the firewall. I was anticipating some swollen glow plugs as well as I had not yet checked any plugs etc. since purchasing the CUCV last year. I had also purchased the JJ&A Glow plug tool just in case last year while they were in stock.

So after rewiring and replacing the GP relay with a new appropriate Trombetta relay, I decided to finally pull all the glow plugs for replacement with AC60G's.

I kept my fingers crossed and starting pulling them out feeling more and more lucky as each one came out without a problem. Interestingly one on the passenger side was barely finger tight so it may have been leaking compression a little on that cylinder.

I finally got to the last one for removal which was the rear cylinder on the drivers side. I had a hard time getting the socket on it due to the oil lines being in the way but I was able to get it out from underneath. The whole time while doing this I was thinking..."man...if this one is swollen I won't be able to get the JJ&A tool on without removing the oil lines. Please please come out...".

After it was loose I started to pull it out and felt very slight resistance but it came right out and behold it was swollen.

All the plugs were Wellman 70's and after testing them all, the swollen one was bad.

All the new AC60G's were installed as well as new spade connectors on the leads. After checking everything I fired her up and I couldn't believe my ears. No clank, clank, clank for the first five to eight seconds. I thought maybe I was imagining such a quite cold start but sure enough in the morning when I started her for work it was again quiet and smooth.

The truck starts and runs so smooth now and no more worries on cascading glow plug failure looming over me with the winter coming.

I guess the bad glow plug somehow was causing the rear cylinder to detonate on cold starts until the compression stroke heated enough to finally fire the cylinder...? Just my guess but I do feel like I dodged a bullet with the rear swollen plug.

The pic below is all the plugs with the arrow pointing to the swollen plug tip. Hard to see in the pic but swollen non the less...

Attachments