• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start.

Kellyboy

I am having issues with cold starts. It takes a rediculous amount of cranking to start if it sits for more than a half hour but fires right up and runs awesome if started sooner. The original fuel filter has been removed by previous owner and has a small inline filter. The line from the filter to injection pump is clear rubber (I know, not good) and I have a spin on setup with new lines waiting to put on. I have never noticed any air in the clear line even after sitting for a long time. I was wondering if the injection pump would keep the truck running even if the mechanical lift pump was shot. I have all new glow plugs and have verified they are working properly. any other ideas?

rsh4364

My first 1009 did the same thing, I finally bought a voltmeter and checked batteries, both were way low, and they were new red tops. I simply wasn't spinning motor fast enough.Check voltage in morning before you try to start. I now check batteries as often as I check the oil and I installed a solargizer to help.

Last edited:

Kellyboy

My first 1009 did the same thing, I finally bought a voltmeter and checked batteries, both were way low, and they were new red tops. I simply wasn't spinning motor fast enough.Check voltage in morning before you try to start. I now check batteries as often as I check the oil and I installed a solargizer to help.
The starter spins faster than any other I have ever heard (like a 6V being jumped with 12V) but I will check them in the AM anyway. Would be stoked if it were that simple. Thanks for the reply.

rsh4364

You are welcome. It was just a thought.When you do the spin on filter I usually add a fuel press.gauge also, it helps narrow things down.

Last edited:

Kellyboy

You are welcome. It was just a thought.When you do the spin on filter I usually add a fuel press.gauge also, it helps narrow things down.
Good idea. Considering a cheapo low pressure inline electric pump just to use for priming when changing filter and or mechanical pump as I have read the replacement pumps aren't what they used to be.

Barrman

The engine should start faster than you can think "let go!" To yourself once you turn the key. Hot or cold with everything working correctly. Sometimes you will learn that two glow plug cycles below a certain temperature to avoid cranking more than 2 seconds is needed.

My first 6.2 with working glow plugs would take 5-6 seconds cold and depending on how long since it last ran. 3-10 seconds. I thought it was normal. Then I had a really, really slow spinning start one morning. The next start melted a terminal off the rear battery. A new battery and rebuilt started later. I had a true fast spinning starter and the fast starts already mentioned.

Put on the real filter/water separator. Check your batteries and after a start. Put your hand on the starter. It should not have any heat in it from starting the engine. If it does, rebuild or replace is my suggestion.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow plugs?
Lift pump?
Air filter ?
Fuel filter?
Battery(s)?

Lots of things to check !

Mine is all stock and starts within 3 seconds down to 15 degrees (blk htr unplugged).
Now that its warmer it's almost instant.
Glow plugs are acdelco 60G's

Last edited:

Kellyboy

Glow plugs?
Lift pump?
Air filter ?
Fuel filter?
Battery(s)?

Lots of things to check !

Mine is all stock and starts within 3 seconds down to 15 degrees (blk htr unplugged).
Now that its warmer it's almost instant.
Glow plugs are acdelco 60G's
I put brand new ac delco 60G's in it yesterday
new air filter
battery's test good
thing runs awesome once started and doesn't appear to be getting air in the lines.
just seems like if it was a lift pump or injector pump it would run like crap

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you load test the batts?
They can test good but under load be much weaker than thought.

Are you depressing the foot pedal while cranking as recommended or just cranking ?

Someone with way more knowledge on these than me will have better ideas.

Kellyboy

Did you load test the batts?
They can test good but under load be much weaker than thought.

Are you depressing the foot pedal while cranking as recommended or just cranking ?

Someone with way more knowledge on these than me will have better ideas.
Isolated the battery's and tested them after 12 hours of no fun time and they tested good. The previous owner told me to hold it to the floor when cold but I noticed it starts quicker if I don't and the cold high idle only works if I don't. Is there actually a recommended throttle procedure for cold start up?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes.
It's on the back of the drivers sun visor and also the operators manual

I found for mine, that about 1/4 to 1/2 is the position it likes. All weather

bryfor

Mine was firing up good cold but not on a warm restart.my wait light always cycled appro x 13 secs regardless of temp or time. I replaced the glowplug temp switch on top of drivers side manifold and it is perfect now. Napa pt num ts 4032 about seventeen bucks. They have two styles depending on whether you still have the orig or not...mine was orig

Kellyboy

Mine was firing up good cold but not on a warm restart.my wait light always cycled appro x 13 secs regardless of temp or time. I replaced the glowplug temp switch on top of drivers side manifold and it is perfect now. Napa pt num ts 4032 about seventeen bucks. They have two styles depending on whether you still have the orig or not...mine was orig
Thanks might as well replace it.

Kellyboy

I found that The glow plug resistor was only being fed with 12v rather than 24. Bypassed it and it fired right up after sitting for four hours. We will see how it starts after sitting all night soon.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that The glow plug resistor was only being fed with 12v rather than 24. Bypassed it and it fired right up after sitting for four hours. We will see how it starts after sitting all night soon.
Read on your other thread you found the issue.

A learning experience for all of us
Glad you found it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks