• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold starting problems

hodgeb

So it has been a balmy 0F this week and I can't get my m1009 to start. I just killed the batteries trying to get her to turn over. Not even a suggestion that she would turn. I've had problems at anything under 20F.

I've got a 200w magnetic oil heater on there and did all day.I've also got a trickle charger on each 800 CCA battery. I've got Lucas and diesel 911 in the tank.

I'm open to preferred suggestions to get on the road at these temps. Can I have a 3rd battery in series? Should I switch to lighter oil? I know a block or coolant heater is preferred as well but I don't have the facilities to do that right now. Fuel line heater? Different/higher CCA batteries? Gear reduction starter? Lift pump?

hodgeb

I should add, I got my m1009 in November and never really had the time or $ to deal with what I knew would be necessary "winterizing".

Based on experience, I know that having a lift pump will help at least a little bit in getting fuel to the engine so minimal cranking will be required, but it still shouldn't be this bad. The starter sounds sloooooow.

This CUCV recently had the glow plugs replaced (or so I was told by the person I bought it from; I have a receipt for 8 GPs in the truck somewhere from him, just not sure what he replaced them with?), so I don't really think that's the problem.

The batteries (Walmart 800CCA) seem like they may be at issue, or maybe the oil weight (as it relates to crank speed). I have no idea what weight oil is in her now (haven't had time to replace it) but I'd guess it's not 5w.

I'm mulling a gear reduction starter, or getting a rebuilt one, as a possible "cheap fix" for the slow crank starts. I know the engine is getting warm (she sounds like she wants to start) with the glow plugs, but it seems like there's just not enough cranking speed to get compression up.

In terms of longevity, is a gear reduction starter a bad idea? I believe I had someone once tell me the horror stories of having multiple gear reduction starters fail before, but I'm not sure (it may have been horror stories of some other part).

TGP (IL)

If your having trouble turning the engine over you need to check/replace the starter.
These trucks crank over great,when everything is in good condition.
Mine easily cranks/starts at -7 the coldest I have tried.
Tom

GPrez

Considering your climate in SD I would go with 1000cca batteries. I would also check the Glow Plugs and make sure they are good. There are several things that can make a brand new Glow Plug foul out. I replaced mine on my 09 when I was having trouble starting it, and burned several out the next time I drove it. My glow plug system was faulty and was keeping them energized.

Are you still 24V?

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi , I live in Ontario, my trucks have no problem starting ,check that your batteries are the correct size (TSC has diesel tractor batteries , I ran those for years), make sure that your glow system is in good working order, test the system as per the TM ,make sure you have correct oil, go with Shell Rotella, BLOCK HEATER, check that your starter is in good order , sounds like like it may be tired, check all your battery cables (no green stuff growing on them) and the last thing make sure bubba has not worked on your truck , hope all this helps,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks