• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Testing Steering Axle Boots - M35A2

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished changing the the inner axle seals. They were leaking, but also the zipper boots were old, and had some small holes in them. Generally it was time for general maintenance on the steering axle.

Here in the Northern Interior, all things can be subject to extreme cold, but plastics are especially vulnerable. I was at a loss to know which boots to install, as much has been said about them, often contradictory. From long experience, I tend not to put much stock in recomendations Vendors make about products and their abilities to work in the cold. Seeing is beliving! An old saying: Pay your money, and take your chances! I did.

I purchased a pair from New Star (see picture). It was an honest -24F when I started the job. I took one of the boots and left it outside for an hour. When I retrieved it, it was as pliable as it was at room temperature. There was no noticable stiffness!. I was plesantly surprised! That is the 1st hundred miles. Putting it in service will be the true test, but that will take longer. I just wish it was the the correct color, or at least black. I didn't have a choice.

Other observations: My clamp wires had 8/32 machine screws in them. I replaced them with 10/32 screws as they would fit through the holesDSCN0003.jpgDSCN0005.jpgDSCN0011.jpgDSCN0015.jpg. *** YES, I KNOW THE CLAMP IS LOCATED IN THE WRONG POSITION! I CHANGED IT! *** (some Eagle Eye, is bound to pick that out)

Not really on the subject.... I took a picture of the old bin that I made to wash parts in. It works well, but mostly to note that French Fry basket. Its the "cats meow" for washing/soaking small parts in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks