• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather 09 CUCV

Hulkdeisel

Just want to brag on my 85 1009...It's was -16 last night(reg temp) here in SW OH and went to start her up with two glow cycles she fired right over. I don't have to hold pedal or nothing. I only touch pedal after she starts to set fast idle. No block heater no fuel adders...nothing..no diesel issues or bull**** ever. She's got 46k and just runs flawless, very impressed with this truck. I've had several K5's in the past 35yrs but this is my first diesel ever. I replaced the glows in Nov and have had no issues at all. Just throwing this out there I got a good one with little needing done to it other than belts, hoses, glows. Spin-on & res bi-pass done when I got it. Doghead next up....

Lucky me![thumbzup]

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you press full pedal while waiting for glow plugs to cycle it will set the the fast idle solenoid.

Keeping them stock, healthy and maintained makes all the difference.
I have yet to use my block heater.

FrankenCub

My 08 treats me just as well, also my first diesel, that I personally owned. Same deal at those temps set fast idle while glows are cycling, run them twice and she fires right off. My gas trucks never started so well. I could never adjust a choke well either lol. I'm starting to think I need to find an 09 for my wife :D
I had mine about a week before I ended up doing the Doghead relay. After reading some of the stories I had tools right next to my battery when I was getting the truck running for the first time. Good thing I did, an hour or so into it the starter went into run on lol. Stopped what I was doing till I got the swap done.

Last edited:

rsh4364

My 1009 used to snarl to life in 3-5 seconds with out the block heater until I installed rebuilt ip,I installed straight up with timing marks, I will be advancing ip timing this week. It also will not warm up beyond 150 even after idling for an hour or more.

Last edited:

Hulkdeisel

Don't adv to much..maybe 1/2 mark at a time..you don't want smoke. Also good glows make a huge difference. Check tstat if only getting 150*. I got 185* in mine and get good heat.

ssdvc

rsh4364 - An idling diesel won't make much heat at all. Need to put a load on the motor (like drive around) for her to warm up.

rsh4364

Even under load I only get to 160,if ambient temperature is below 50 out. With the Jatonka grill cover on. If above 50 outside and with Jatonka cover on I can get to 190 and see thermostat open and close with the temperature gauge.My 1009 has 4.56 gears and 33 tires and I drive it at 65mph all the time and have been for over 2 1/2 years. Everything points to timing being off,or retarded.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

Sounds like a bad thermostat or incomplete combustion from slow timing. Napa makes a 205 degree thermostat put one of those in and your heater will crank.

rsh4364

Thanks the 190 thermostat works as it should,I just need to advance the timing a bit. The motor has 400 psi + per cylinder,new fuel system tank to injectors, new glowplugs,.

Last edited:

howardc

was +5 degrees in KY. One GP cycle and fast idle set was all it took. I don't drive it that much, but I do love this truck. We have had a lot of snow (7 inches or so, but it's a lot for this area) and I have had 0 issues. I am putting the front battery on a trickle charge each night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks