• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather gauge issues or actually overheating?

MikeM35

Hello all, I have a gauge question that I have been searching for but can't seem to find the correct thread or it is just not out there....We just got a decent cold snap and I went out to start the deuce. Let her run to warm up for about 15 minutes. Everything checked out ok prior to my cruise gauges all read normal. Oil pressure was smack dab in the center between 30/60 range. Temp was at 120 and voltage etc also checked out. About 3.5 miles into my 7 mile trip the temp started to climb to 220.... Pulled over checked it out. There were no indications of overheating. I was thinking bad gauge?? I went there and back and put a total of 14 miles on it. Drove fine and all; no indication of overheating after returning home. Once I came home and let her idle for the customary cool down (especially with low temps outside) I noticed a ring of condensation inside the temp gauge.... Could this be the cause? Or do you guys suspect something else? Normal weather I've had 0 issues with her.

- Thank you guys so much any info and help will be greatly appreciated!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen the condensation in the gauges before. I would not say that is the issue.

I'd wager on the sending unit or a bad wire, or bad ground.

Flyingvan911

The moisture in the gauge is from the ambient moisture that was in the gauge when it was sealed at the factory. The gauges are sealed to survive being submerged while fording deep water. Try adding some antifreeze and see if it changes the indicated temperature. Check for any possible coolant leaks, including in the motor oil. For it to heat up so much in the dead of winter is odd. I lean more toward a false temperature indication but there's a lot to check.

Jeepsinker

It is either a bad sender or a loss of ground. It is very simple to diagnose these problems by just checking wire condition, cleaning and checking the ground, and/ or replacing the sensor. If the wire is rotted from being oiled down near the dipstick, or has cracked and peeling insulation then it is time to do some cutting, soldering, and heatshrinking.