• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold weather starting

CaptainHook01

It was about 20°F outside a couple of days ago and I tried to start the hmmwv. I waited until the wait to start light turned off and tried to start with no luck. I let the switch go back to run position for about 20 seconds and tried to start again with no luck. I own diesel pickups and other diesel equipment and that usually works if I forget to plug in the block heater. So I was wanting to know what block heaters you guys recommend and how to get it started in cold weather if I can’t plug it in. I’m not a fan of starting fluid but I know my old diesel tractor has a place to screw a bottle in and a button to spray it for cold weather starts.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cold weather no start usually means either your glow plugs have failed, or your start box has.

In theory it should already have a block heater installed, and all you need to do is add a power cable. Standard GM glow plug power cable.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEVER use starting fluid on the engine, period....
Does sound like you need to trouble shoot the glow plug system.
You can get a block heater for a civy 6.2/6.5L diesel, try to get a good one ( AC delco etc,)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would agree with the others that it could be a glow plug issue. The truck should start without a block heater under those conditions. I recently started my HMMWV and it was only a few degrees warmer (about 25) and it fired right up. It sounded a bit more diesel-y for about 20-30 seconds, but it started. A friend, a fellow SteelSoldier, was over and he could not believe how quickly it fired up. I only cycled the glow plugs once.

I also have a 1997 Chevy K3500 with the 6.5TD with about 98k miles. That truck never gets plugged in and starts every time. I think the coldest it has been when I started it was about 18 degrees. With all this said, the truck did not want to start in the cold when I first got it; I checked and I had about 4 non-functioning glow plugs. Once I swapped them out, it fired right up no matter the temperature.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks