• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Woes

Marlboro

It seems that the deuce just isn't a cold weather vehicle! I took my truck out on saturday, the temp was going to be a high of 28ish... So having the truck out before in cold weather i knew i should make a homemade artic front(cardboard painted camo). That worked well it Held 180 and had good cab heat for the 20 mile trip into the woods! Well five minutes into the woods i came across a water hole, i dipped the front in and it sank into 4 feet of water. Lets just say a paniced.. I got out and saw the fan spitting water out from the hood, I told my buddy to man the winch controls as i leaned across the hood to feel around for the winch cable! I got it and pulled it out about 10 ft into a big rats nest, waited about a half hour for a buddy to show up so we could hook up the cable to his truck and unspool it... i then winched right through it. After the 4 foot water crossing i'm guessing the brake shoes froze because i could stand on the pedal but had very little stopping power, plenty of pedal just no slowing down...I carefully drove home and the next morning decided i'd check some fluids for water, well flipped the master and hit the start button volt meter went from the high side of green to the low side of green but made no noise. i'm again guessing but think the starter is froze.. Good thing its a pleasure vehcile i'll look at it later in the week when its warmer. Sorry no pics! i was scared and just wanted out!!!!!!!!!

73X

Water has a bad way of messing with our plans especially when it is cold or frozen.
The starter solenoid is most likely your problem. If the starter were to be full of water and frozen in my experience, it would still cause quite a draw on the electrical system and your gauge would drop well down past green.
After a water crossing it is alway a good idea to LIGHTLY drag the brakes just to get out any water that may have stayed to freeze. Good luck let us know how you do.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our deuces and 5 tons do well in cold weather, given we do not ford water with them! The advice about dragging the brakes lightly to dry them out is good after you get into water.
Our trucks started in 10 degree weather yesterday. Man, I love warm weather the most!!! I never was a "snow bunny!". Looks like a long, cold winter ahead. Our great global warming speaker needs to go outside and start giving speeches to warm it up a bit.

Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks