• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coleman G40-F Aircraft Tug Ignition System

SimonR

Hi all,

I found this wonderful resource after a bit of Googling! Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm more at home messing about with old British cars but my brother in law has just bought a Coleman G40-F Aircraft Tug and we need a little help putting the ignition system back together because someone has removed the ignition switch and unwired a few parts of the dash.

This is what it looks like: It's got a Chrysler (440 we think) short block V8 engine and in some spare time yesterday I identified hopefully all the parts of the ignition system, the following photos should help:

Starter Relay

Ignition Control Module and Balast Resisters

Rusty Thing on Bulkhead (on the Left)

All the photos of the Tug (including the ID plaques) are here:

The connections to the Starter Relay are as follows:

BAL: Two wires - one to the side of the coil and one through the bulkhead, disconnected in the dash - see below
BAT: Connected to the +ve terminal on the starter motor, same one as the battery
EGR: No connection
SOL: Connected to Starter Motor Solenoid
I: Wire goes through Bulkhead and is not connected
G: Connected to ground.

The new ignition switch we've bought has the following connections:
BAT
IGN
ACC
ST.

I've metered out the spare wires in the dash and they appear to be as follows:
Green: Ground
Red/Pink Trace: goes to I on the ignition relay
Pink/Red Trace: Apears to be connected in some way to the lights as it disappears off towards the dim/dip switch on the floor.

The two Balast Resistors are 5.5 Ohms and 1.4 Ohms.

Everything else seems to be wired and untampered with, including the mysterious Chrysler Igniton Control Module that I uncovered more information about here, scroll about 2 thirds down.

So is there enough information there for someone to help us wire it up so that we can see if the engine will run?

Many thanks in advance! - please feel free to ask any questions...

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
interesting find!
are those the same wheels used on a goat?
how much does it weigh?
is it four wheel drive? four wheel steer?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. All of those parts pictured are conventional 1970's Chrysler ignition parts, the rusty thing is the regulator for the alternator. Same parts as the M880, which is a 1976 or 1977 Dodge W-200 pickup truck. You can obtain these parts anywhere. As far as a schematic, I cannot offer assistance, but you should be able to trace everything out and get her running.

BFR, the wheels are 20" and Coleman specific.

SimonR

Cheers for your replies, gentlemen.

To answer your questions: I think it weighs around 7 tonnes, certainly more than 5. It's got an auto gearbox and I think it's 4 wheel drive. It's certainly 4 wheel steer.

I've also posted this on a classic car forum now that I know it's basically the same as a 70's Chrysler. Hopefully someone will come through with a schematic.

I'll report on my findings when it's done just in case anyone else encounters the same thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks