• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

color confusion

shootist

I have read all sorts of conflicting info on the color of early vs late '37's :confused:

here's where I need the advice:

from what I gather the correct color for a '53, '37 would be:
23070 (rapco Gillespie)

how ever with all the work that's been done on the truck and also
what has been left( a few dings etc)
I'm told that this color would show all "the sins" not really sure how but.........

what would be the next closest? or should it be fine?
or at that point does it matter what color it is? if its not going to be original?

I know its all personal taste to a point, however I'd like to stay kinda close to the original.
I know some of you guys had to have had these same thoughts during your projects. I'm pretty sure it's going to be "army" as it was originally. By the way the guy that shot it for me used grey primer instead of the red ......................

here's the link for colors: Rapco Paint Descriptions & Recommended Uses!!! NEW

Jay

Last edited:

nattieleather

Well for an M37 you've got a few choices. For Army the 23070 as an out of the factory color early 50s. 24087 which is a slightly darker more brownish version of the 23070 which would be good for late 50s -60s as in Vietnam or W. Germany vehicle or a motorpool repaint of the vehicle. You could paint it with 34079 Forest Green or with the 4 color camo scheem and say it was in the Army Reserve National Guard into the mid 70s.

The color you want to use is a semi-gloss so it will show some imperfections, but remember these are not Cadilacs they are Army trucks they came with imperfections in them. If 23070 is the color you want to go with then shoot it stencle it and enjoy it!

Mike_L

I agree with Nattieleather, shoot the early color as it rolled out of the factory in '53. Like the original, at least this will be the basis for all follow-on colors. I used an epoxy primer which is a med olive green but I sprayed red primer over it for a proper OD undercoat. It wouldn't be too late to spray some red on before a topcoat. An extra coat of primer might help hide an imperfection or two anyway.

If you are going for a factory paint scheme, as it rolled off the line, there are several discussions over at G741.org on the details (black frame, silver power train, etc.) that you may find interesting. Also, if you haven't already, consider adding your truck to the M37 registry.

I can certainly appreciate your point on the post-factory mods, work, and updates that may have occurred during the truck's life. They would weigh in with me as to whether the color was to be a VN era OD, say because it has the '65 MWO applied to the tailgate or some other mod that could date the truck's configuration. Now, that kind of attention to detail would be relevant if you were doing a full historical restoration for show. Elsewise, I would think most folks wouldn't know the difference.

shootist

Guys thanks for the input. a wealth of info

I met with the guy who's going to help paint it tonight
(its what he does for a living figured he would know better than me I still paint by numbers.......)
He is insisting on going "lusterless/flat".
keeps telling me I'll regret anything else because of
body work dents dings, mods etc
Mike I did add a second coat of the primer tonight.

How ever I do understand as nattieleather put it "remember these are not a Cadillac"
wonder what he'll say after the first woods adventure when he's gotta help weld up & patch all the dents...:shock:..LOL Any way

I am partial to the 23070
He also mentioned to shoot it in the Marine lusterless and add the Marine mods. which kinda sounded interesting ....hmmmm

So it's gonna probably be 23070 or the 34052 I think whether I do it in the '45-57 color or MC green or even VN OD, she'll look pretty nice

I'll have to think about it some more -the info you guys supplied and the advise is great.
Ill keep ya posted -I know the adage "do what you want and like your gonna drive it"
...so confused so many colors....

Mike I'm pretty sure she's in the registry I think that's the first thing I did.
I'll have to check.
Thanks for the input guys greatly appreciated!

As soon as she's done Ill post up all the pics from find to completion
Jay

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Back in 1998, I went to school in MD for some training and the National Guard had an M37 sitting in its parking lot. Being used currently (at that time), was not a collectors truck. It still had the 24087 color on it.

Mike_L

Jay,

However you decide on the color, it will look great once it is done. Your paint guy sounds like the guy that helped me with some of my early sheet metal work. He was old school "show car" in mindset, wanting to finish everything nice and smooth, fill in imperfections and details with body putty, etc. I had to occasionally pull in the reigns and remind him it was an Army truck, not a '55 Chevy. I have finally gotten all the putty out of the spot welds and out of the fender edge roll ridges (the tiny rib detail). I couldn't fault him for the work, aside from his mindset, he did excellent work.

ICSmoke,

In 1975, the Army started to camouflage everything in a 4 color pattern. In the mid-80s (1986-ish), they went to a 3 color pattern. By then, I don't think there were many M37s around to repaint so it would be unlikely many saw the 3 color pattern. Attached is a photo of an M37 at the Ropkey Armor Museum in Crawfordsville, IN representing an XVIII ABN Corps (Rapid Deployment Force unit) truck with the 4 color pattern.

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

Good post! anyone know the color of a 1962?

Thanks
Ian
That would have been 24087 for Army. Strata Blue for Air Force and MC Green semi-gloss for Marine Corps.

Jay tell your paint guy "it's my truck and this is how we are going to paint it!"

When they say semi-gloss think more like eggshell then a not as glossy as gloss. It's not that shinny of a paint.

shootist

Nattieleather your right! and I did LOL what a debate ensued....

Long story short I took a ride up north to get some parts, and as I was
loading up, a fella from Conn. pulled up with a 37 and I gotta tell ya
it was a smoke wagon but .....but.....
he just had it painted lusterless MC green.:drool:
That was all I needed to see-
although I had my heart set on 23070* I thought man....this would look awesome. Could already picture it in my head.... Kind of a shift in direction on my end but......
So I ordered the MC Green from Rapco..... should be here Friday
hopefully I get it in color By Sunday (getn antsy now)
although the electric, lighting, exhaust etc has to be done
Ill get the start to status pics up shortly.
Can I put em in this thread? or start a new one?
you guys have been great!

Mike_L

I say add them to this thread. We can read the story behind the pictures together in one thread.

And don't forget to post results on the G741.org site too.

majorhitt

When removing parts from my M37, I found the original color under the blackout light. that didn't see day light for almost 53 years. That was 24087. I still have to put another coat of paint on when the time weather lets me.

shootist

more and more

guys notice the color lol it looks nothing like lusterless marine green....
these were taken day after painting. how ever a week later
the true color appeared. I'll post some more in a week or so.
got the truck back together, did the carb, harness, added directional's etc

Attachments

shootist

since initial post on color, the body work was done (to much to list) sandblasted,primed, new carb,fuel lines, plugs, brake lines, master cylinder,
rear main harness (installed yesterday) new lights all around, 3 way headlight switch, new rear frame tails &cross member, bumperettes,turn signals,(the butchered rear main was a b71 harness......go figure I installed an original and have to run all the lines for signals...........) etc and all the other incidentals (that add up to to many parts to list). I know I'm forgetting a bunch but Ill remember soon I hope (or did I mentally block it out when I realized the truck needed EVERYTHING) after we took it apart- oh spring pins and rear u-bolts also.

Mike_L

Quite a transformation. Are you leaning toward a factory assembly line color scheme? I noticed the bright bumper & brush guard bolts which I would think would have been unpainted when it initially rolled off the assembly line. Some guys like to leave the exposed bolts and wood unpainted for show looks. Wasn't sure which way you were going with them.

Either way, looks good.

shootist

Hi Mike,
I was going to originally paint all the new bolts. But after looking at them unpainted,
I thought it cut up the front end and looked pretty sharp.
thanks for the comments you also Frank!
Gotta tell ya- i was amazed at how dark the paint has become from the pictures posted here
taken the day or so after. I'll get more up shortly, the electrical with adding turn signals has been a confusing night mare.
Jay