• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

mann650

Thank you Rodent
Yes this does mean all Military Vehicles. You and I recognize that an M1008 and a K5 are the same, but the folks preaching off-road only don't. It is up to those of us that understand these vehicles to write our legislators and clarify this. Please write your legislator find them here(https://leg.colorado.gov/find-my-legislator) and help them understand that these are the same vehicles, and that they should restore the on-road titles for these vehicles.

Another Ahab

Thank you Rodent
Yes this does mean all Military Vehicles. You and I recognize that an M1008 and a K5 are the same, but the folks preaching off-road only don't. It is up to those of us that understand these vehicles to write our legislators and clarify this. Please write your legislator find them here(https://leg.colorado.gov/find-my-legislator) and help them understand that these are the same vehicles, and that they should restore the on-road titles for these vehicles.
Sometimes they (legislative representatives) have offices in their jurisdictions:

- An apointment to visit staff in those offices can have an affect

- Even moreso if repeated once or twice (bring a friend)

My daughter did an internship in just such an office. She let me know how it works. And it DOES work.

mann650

Ahab,
You are absolutely correct, I have met with my two legislators and they were surprised at the information I gave them, they had a different impression of the whole thing. Both are supporters now and it only took about 15 minutes in person. If anyone can make a visit in person that would be better than a letter.

Reworked LMTV

My hope is that we can get you guys back on the road ASAP and set a precedent. A precedent of correction of decisions made on inaccurate or limited facts. We all know another state will try similar antics. I hope we can build universal documentation that supports MV's in every state, should the need arise. I'd also like to know if the

Maybe we should get shirts made with a clever caption to show our support. I will buy one or maybe two, if I get any fatter
:whistle:

tommys2patrick

Rodent, when you got your title did it indicate it was ex military? if it was a cucv it might describe it as only a Chevrolet of a given year. Check and let us know because I thought the five year collector plates were just for civilian vehicles of the so called antique or horseless carriage variety.

rodent

Rodent, when you got your title did it indicate it was ex military? if it was a cucv it might describe it as only a Chevrolet of a given year. Check and let us know because I thought the five year collector plates were just for civilian vehicles of the so called antique or horseless carriage variety.
No there is no indication it is military on the title or my registration. I do know the VIN references a military vehicle (5th Letter D). I may be a gray area vehicle but hard to say. I'd be curious if anyone with a M1008 or M1009 or the older Dodge M880 truck has had issues with registration.

Also- Have collector plates on my civilian 1987 K5 Blazer. It just turned 32 years old and that was enough to qualify it for those plate. My m1008 did pass diesel emissions which is required to get get plates so its not exempt from any emissions test.

Attachments

Last edited:

41cl8m5

rodent,
in the picture of your title, the second position indicates to the DMV that it started life as a "Military" vehicle the "G" is only used for special built government vehicules. GSA buys off the shelf cars and trucks but the vin numbers are basically nurmal. So right now if you go in to try to renew the registration you will hit the hiccups. Be glad you got the 5 year collector plate.

rodent

rodent,
in the picture of your title, the second position indicates to the DMV that it started life as a "Military" vehicle the "G" is only used for special built government vehicules. GSA buys off the shelf cars and trucks but the vin numbers are basically nurmal. So right now if you go in to try to renew the registration you will hit the hiccups. Be glad you got the 5 year collector plate.
On the GM trucks, I always thought it was the 5th digit. 2nd and 3rd letter is for GMC or Chevrolet designation.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/1GCGD34J3GF381111

Edit- Better VIN decoder here:
5th letter shows D which means military. 2nd and 3rd letter is for GMC or Chevrolet designation.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/73-91VIN/1986truck.pdf

Either way, they will still show its military and I'll have problems registering it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That sure is a handy chart.

The digit shown in the chart as "7" is identified as a "check digit":

-What is a check digit, does anybody know what that means?

rodent

That sure is a handy chart.

The digit shown in the chart as "7" is identified as a "check digit":

-What is a check digit, does anybody know what that means?
quote-
A vehicle identification number, VIN, is a unique code used to identify each vehicle produced by the automotive industry. VINs were standardized in 1981 to contain 17 characters, not including the letters i, o, and q. The first few digits identify the world manufacturer. The 4th to 8th digits identify the vehicle attributes. The 10th digit is the model year, the 11th digit is the plant where the vehicle was manufactured and the vehicle serial number is typically the 12th to 17th digit. The ninth digit is reserved for the check digit.The check digit, found in position 9 of the VIN and compulsory for vehicles in North America, is used to validate a VIN. This is helpful for computers to immediately tell if there is an error or issue with the VIN. The check digit is calculated by removing all of the letters and substituting them with their appropriate number counterparts. You then take those numbers and multiply them against a weight factor table. You then have 16 numbers which you add together and then divide by 11. The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X”.While this sounds more confusing than it is, we’ve simplified it so all you have to do is enter your VIN and the work is done for you. Use our Check Digit Calculator below to verify your Check Digit.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/check-digit-calculator

Another Ahab

quote- The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X”.While this sounds more confusing than it is, we’ve simplified it so all you have to do is enter your VIN and the work is done for you. Use our Check Digit Calculator below to verify your Check Digit.

A1.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
quote-
A vehicle identification number, VIN, is a unique code used to identify each vehicle produced by the automotive industry. VINs were standardized in 1981 to contain 17 characters, not including the letters i, o, and q. The first few digits identify the world manufacturer. The 4th to 8th digits identify the vehicle attributes. The 10th digit is the model year, the 11th digit is the plant where the vehicle was manufactured and the vehicle serial number is typically the 12th to 17th digit. The ninth digit is reserved for the check digit.The check digit, found in position 9 of the VIN and compulsory for vehicles in North America, is used to validate a VIN. This is helpful for computers to immediately tell if there is an error or issue with the VIN. The check digit is calculated by removing all of the letters and substituting them with their appropriate number counterparts. You then take those numbers and multiply them against a weight factor table. You then have 16 numbers which you add together and then divide by 11. The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X”.While this sounds more confusing than it is, we’ve simplified it so all you have to do is enter your VIN and the work is done for you. Use our Check Digit Calculator below to verify your Check Digit.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/check-digit-calculator
Many encoding or cypher systems embed validation coding so that the receiving agent can readily determine the true versus the bogus.
Unfortunately for the encriptors of the world, it is usually that very validation coding contrived to assure secure messaging that is broken first by interceptors with the body of the coded messages falling soon thereafter.
Seldom in the signals intelligence world does the "magic code book" fall into our hands... Although that has been known to happen.

Another Ahab

Many encoding or cypher systems embed validation coding so that the receiving agent can readily determine the true versus the bogus.
Unfortunately for the encriptors of the world, it is usually that very validation coding contrived to assure secure messaging that is broken first by interceptors with the body of the coded messages falling soon thereafter.
Seldom in the signals intelligence world does the "magic code book" fall into our hands... Although that has been known to happen.
A drift here, but keeping it brief:

- Amazing WWII story (if I remember it right), of some Brit Lymeys boarding a sinking U-Boat (!) scuttled and abandoned by its crew.

- Kriegsmarine assumed the U-Boat safely sunk and lost.

- Vessel was battle-damaged and also scuttled and sinking, and one or two of those British sailors/officers entered that sub and found the prize, and got out before it slipped under.

Cool heads there. Wow. That's it. The End

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drifting way off topic, but similar check digits are sent as part of the framing and line coding of standard telecom signals. This allows the receiving station to know whether data was dropped- if your check sum doesn't match the data, then you know the data was corrupted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks