• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat Dash Lights

pevrs114

I had to change a bunch of the bulbs right after I got my truck, in order to pass inspection. Some are easy to reach from underneath the spot where a radio would go, some you must disassemble the dash. It isn't hard, by any means, but the speedo cable can be tough to pop loose. We pulled my whole dash apart, there's a mini circuit-board that powers most of the bulbs. They're wires inside a plastic tape, over time this tape falls apart and the bulbs go out. The auto parts store carries a jumper kit that allows you to skip this circuit wiring and put new wires to power the bulbs. Took us a few hours, including having to run back twice to the parts store once we decided to retrofit ALL the bulbs, as well as the above-mentioned foul language.

Midnight Rider

I'm gonna have to look into this. I can barely see the fuel gauge and speedo at night. I can't see the heater controls at all. It looks like there's just a single bulb lighting mine up for some reason.

kapnklug

put on the red light

Followed the link to the company selling the red bulbs, but don't see any prices, shopping cart link, or even a phone number. How do you order these?

1986Blazerk5

I have had my M1009 for 2 years now and about a month ago i replaced all the bulbs, as i could not see the left side of my speedometer. I had no idea there was one for the heater control, anybody know a part number for the bulb?

BIG_RED

If you want colored 194 bulbs without paying the "aftermarket car part" price, go buy colored garden light lightbulbs at the hardware store. (you know, those lights that run on 12 volts and are getting replaced by those new solar powered LED things) They have the same base as a 194 bulb. Just get the 4 watt ones, they are smaller and fit in the holes. The 9 watt bulbs are bigger and get a little too hot imho. You can buy a 194 socket to put behind the heater and voltage gauges so that you don't have to buy 14 different kinds of lightbulbs - that drives me nuts. Many cars also have 194 bulbs in the marker lights (M1009's as an example). Often you can buy LED versions of those in funky colors (look in the exterior lights section, not the dash lights section of the parts store). A pair of blue LED 194 bulbs costs $10 at my nearest parts store. Pricey, but bright like the sun, and they last 10 years if you leave them on continuously.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sorry but I really must be missing something, Every MV I have ever owned has all red internal lighting, I just hought they were all this way????
KK

mr.travo

Does anyone have any input about seeing the needle at night with red bulbs? I am thinking about taking the plunge on switching over to red. Would like to do LED, but to me it seems like a lot of money.

natemccabe

I have no prob seeing the needle with red dash lights, even with the middle one missing as I'm too lazy to pull the dash apart to get the sucker back in.

Csm Davis

I am sorry but I really must be missing something, Every MV I have ever owned has all red internal lighting, I just hought they were all this way????
KK
Nope my wrecker has green covers! Much easier to read at night. Also they make a blue set for use with NVG's. And clear covers for the new led lights and purple for highbeams.

Last edited: