• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

combat rims for 9405511899562560918108 truck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
FreightTrain said:
But the real question is,Why in the heck did they screw up a near perfect design by adding a computer controled engine,a automatic(there is no automatic that can last like a manual!),and all that other crap?I can see the inflation system and bigger single tires but the 465 is about bullet proof and so is the 5speed.What can actually go wrong with the combo?bullet though the block or trans case?so much more with the auto and Cat.Lose power your done.
OK - and now some answers -

I'll politely disagree with your statement about autos vs manuals. I've had two deuce trannies trashed by friends who SAID they knew how to drive manuals - never had an automatic trashed by inexperienced drivers. The army has the same problem, no doubt. Plus, automatic gives much better off-road performance - the army learned this in WWII when they first began using automatics - in tanks.

As for the engine - the EPA killed the LDT - it wouldn't pass emmissions standards, and on Sept 30, 1987, in response to the army's request for a five-year waiver, the EPA instead gave a one year waiver for only 3000 engines, and told the army to find another powerplant.

This is also why we see so many trucks coming out of GL without engines - they are pulling them for use in other trucks.

HTH,
David

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4 said:
Speaking of trannys, just lost 5th in the M275A2 today. Dang the luck.
Gear or synchro?

You going to build it yourself of let a tranny shop do it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No tranny shops for me. I noticed a 5th gear pecking sound not too long ago. Today it turned into a 5th gear knocking sound so I'm assuming 5th gear or its mate on the counter shaft. I just had a take out tranny delivered so it will go in and I'll work on this one. Drove 50 miles in 4th at about 45 MPH. No DR jokes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's burned way to many bridges here amongst family to return. It would be nice to see him square up with these folks and carry on!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry to hear.I hope I havent offended anyone , If I have let me know.
You're good Rich, don't sweat it :beer:

AMTAK

Hey new guy here,sorry don't want to butt in. Saw this thread and the A3 topic of combat rims.
Thought I would put up a pic of the duce I build over the last 5 years. I thought it was cool till I spent 2 hours going through the diablo build thread. That truck is.... beyond words.
The first thing I got was the tires, second was the rims , third was the crane, then the truck. Then had to sell it. :cry:

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMTAK said:
.... The first thing I got was the tires, second was the rims , third was the crane, then the truck. Then had to sell it. :cry:
Nice toy! I want one, just like that!

Remember dimensions for tires & rims?
Where did you get the rims or wheels?

Gerhard

AMTAK

The tires where out of letterkenny about 10 years ago. They where 14.5x20 about 50 or 60 of them all new. I know that is strange. We thought they where for the 5 ton trucks. The wheels and bead locks came out of michigan from a scrap guy.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ideal deuce tires:14.5R20 michelinXL! I figured it was that size, looking at the spacing betw. rears. They came on the M35A3s. (Outside diam. is same as 11.00x20)
And the wheels seem to perfectly match: the rims bead section looks to be only 1" high, that's what MPT tires require.( Std. deuce rims have 1 1/2" horns). It would be very interesting to know who made them and what the original application was!?
Another question would be if the backspace of the center section allowed all 3 axles to have the same track widht without flipping the rear hubs.

devilman96

I'd give (many things I can not mention due to filters on the site) for those wheels to be on my truck!!!!

You see... Were all just as green when it comes to envy no matter what truck we own!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What on our beautiful earth made you sell that truck? Please tell, so I can avoit it at all costs!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks