• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combining Dodge Tug and M1009

Rebelpride

I have searched other forums and this one as well, but I have been entertaining the idea of a Cummins swap into my M1009. I love the clatter of an ol' Detroit, but you cant beat the power of a Cummins.

What I am asking is, how difficult would it be to replace the CUCV instrument panel with the instrument panel from a 91 model Dodge tug. Already has oil press, water temp, voltage, fuel and speedometer so I wouldn't have to add any guages like i would with a stock dash. The tug has a/c, so I just wanted to transfer everything over so that I have a Cummins powered CUCV with air and guages.

Not looking for the purists to cry blasphemies or somebody looking to up their rank by making a random post. I want to hear from somebody who has dome a Cummins swap or has real good knowledge as to whether it's possible with decent ease or if theres no way a Dodge dash will bolt into a Chevy.

dependable

The panels are a different, but if you have the know how to swap the engines, no doubt you will be able to figure how to swap over the other parts as well. Probably have to do a little fabrication. Going with the Dodge gauges for the Cummins makes sense to me. Even if you have to fit them in Chevy cluster. Speedometer might take some figuring. Good luck and please post some pictures.

Last edited:

Gunzy

I can't say on gauges, but there is an older Chev K2500 running around car shows here that has a 5.9 Cummins and fully custom built dash and instruments. It's a nice truck but you always get a Dodge or Chev guy that whines about it. I figure to each his own and this guy did a **** of a job. He obviously has access to a water jet cutter. Good luck and do what you want, it's your rig after all. And post pics of the work.

Easypatriot

I'm sorry I can't find a link at the moment, but I was looking for a replacement dash panel the other day and found a "cut your own holes" panel for the C/K stuff that allows for the install of whatever guages you plan to use (mainly geared towards aftermarket guages). It was, however made of carbon fiber and cost about $280. I just tried to google it and can't find it :( Not sure of your budget, but it might be worth checking out.

Rebelpride

I figure there would be a little fabrication involved like closing gaps and such. My idea/goal is to completely remove all of the wiring from the Chevy and install all of the wiring from the Dodge instead of trying to mesh the 2, I'll just lengthen or shorten the Dodge wiring.

Skinny

What vintage 5.9L are you swapping? The older models are one wire only to run. You could run a civvy Chevy cluster and use the sending units on the Cummins. Your idea works but I would be prepared to do alot of wiring. Not the difficulty level, but I'm sure a lot will need to be shortened or lengthened.

who cares what the purists say, Cummins makes a great engine period.

dependable

Doing a complete wire harness swap makes sense to me. It would be more work than it is worth to try to interface the two. If I was putting a 5.9 Cummins in a CUCV, I would consider a different transmission than the TH 400 in the CUCV. The power band on Cummins is strong but narrow (RPMs). The 6.2 has weak torque for a diesel, but a pretty even power curve. The Cummins needs more gears to use its potential.

Am not an expert but do run and maintain several CUCVs and 2 Dodges w Cummins as daily workers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks