• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comical stenciling on 803 GOV planet today

robertsears1

I remember in 1987 at pilot training in Columbus MS when the maintenance switched from military to civilian. We just shutdown from a sortie and the fuel truck came over. I remember the so called crew chief walked all the way around the aircraft trying to figure out where the fuel went. For several months after that day, an instructor pilot had to go out with us to preflight the aircraft before we flew solo. Not the case before that day.

rickf

Oh I think SNAFU goes back to WWI. Not sure but it has been around for a long, long time. I think SNAFU was the original insult followed by FUBAR. Sort of gives you an idea of the GI's idea of how the military handles things. In some ways they are highly efficient but in others................ well.............. SNAFU. :LOL:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh I think SNAFU goes back to WWI. Not sure but it has been around for a long, long time. I think SNAFU was the original insult followed by FUBAR. Sort of gives you an idea of the GI's idea of how the military handles things. In some ways they are highly efficient but in others................ well.............. SNAFU. :LOL:
Reminds me of sitting on the runway waiting... and waiting... and waiting... and spin up the props, then wait... then shut it down... then wait some more. SNAFU for sure and FUBAR too!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
being a smartazz while visiting with a personable customer one day, I asked what FUBAR meant, told her I thought it was a german word.. She got all red and started laughing .. I knew she was a WW2 german war bride :LOL:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
okay, back to comical stenciling : while with engineers at FLW in the 70's , a couple of us were painting 55gal drums yellow and stenciling "High Water" on them. But the stencil machine was busted and we had to share a manila "put your own damn letters together" set .. It was one "H" short so we did what we could and were to just paint another H on them the next day, since we ran out of time and the OMS (maint shop) gates were about to be locked for the day.. That night a big storm came through and it rained heavy most of the night .. Anyway, apparently some of the guys went out to set up barrels in the middle of the night wherever there was water over the roads.. Late the next morning the CO came into the OMS and yelled , "... you 🤬 numbskulls! The batallion commander wants to know what the 🤬 is Hig Water ??!!! 🤪

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully someone learned their lesson, and the stencil is meant to be in good humor.

We had a fax machine on the 2nd floor of our battalion building.
Posted on the wall above the fax was instructions on how to operate the fax machine.

It wasn't actually a fax machine though. It was the sensitive documents paper shredder.
Some officer tried to use it to send a fax one time, and for a full year afterwards the "fax" instructions were posted above it.

You can't fix stupid, but you can use it for entertainment.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
okay, back to comical stenciling : while with engineers at FLW in the 70's , a couple of us were painting 55gal drums yellow and stenciling "High Water" on them. But the stencil machine was busted and we had to share a manila "put your own damn letters together" set .. It was one "H" short so we did what we could and were to just paint another H on them the next day, since we ran out of time and the OMS (maint shop) gates were about to be locked for the day.. That night a big storm came through and it rained heavy most of the night .. Anyway, apparently some of the guys went out to set up barrels in the middle of the night wherever there was water over the roads.. Late the next morning the CO came into the OMS and yelled , "... you 🤬 numbskulls! The batallion commander wants to know what the 🤬 is Hig Water ??!!! 🤪
In 1986 at Camp Fuji, Japan, I was assigned to a working party one day with other members of my tank platoon. Top (Master Sergeant for the Company) told us to repaint & re-stencil the Paint/HazMat Locker, which was a small conex box. Repaint accomplished, we broke out the stencils to find that we were one short of a Zero/O stencil…so one of the senior Lance Corporals (E-3) decided to ”modify” the stenciling to “NO SMOKING WITHIN 49.8 FEET.”

That was one of many times I discovered how fast & furious S**t Rolls Downhill…. Needless to say the next day we did the stenciling in two separate passes to accomodate the shortage of Zero/O stencils…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks