• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

Had not been down to the garage in a couple days - have some issues going on that I needed to take care of.

John up at Midwest has the new rear wheel cyl's coming - probably be here today as the first package got mis-directed and last seen in MA. Very happy with his customer service.
With what was going on and if the cyl's had shown up I would not have been able to touch it.

Will get these on and all the fluids changed out in both diff's and the transfer case and finish greasing the unit.
There is also one spot inside that I was able to pick up on that needs a patch on it to make me happy.

Will get onto bleeding the system and get that MC checked out in the process.

Oldfart

About Self Energizing and Huck style brakes ~~ Not to be too long winded, but Huck brakes which were an improvement over their predecessors, attempt to push both front and rear shoes symmetrically to the drum. There are adjustable anchor pins at the bottom of each shoe. Each shoe operates somewhat independently from the other except the same wheel cylinder pushes both the front and rear shoe into the drum for stopping friction. ~ Self Energizing brakes are essentially a circle of shoes connected at the bottom with an adjuster. When the wheel cylinder expands the circle of shoes, the rear lining is pulled by the drum up toward the anchor pin at the wheel cylinder. The drum pulls the lining tighter against itself.

zout

sitin here with my favorite soda pop in hand trying to get my left thumb into joint - what a fubared night.

Rear brake cyl's on - wheels on - MC cover pulled off and fluid was pretty decent in there but smelled like folks at the GA Rally after 3 full days of being there - or was it the porta john smell :!:

I am just going to order a rebuilt MC from John as his service has been professional and that will fullfill my sickening thoughts of running into something at a later date. But EH - its mechanical - man made - even if it is new it can take a crap immediately.

Couple small items to pick up or fabricate at this point - grandsons always looking to make some money as I just do not hand it out like someone we supposidly have in charge when not on vacations at our dime.
Will have them clean up the windows - vacuum out the rear and wiper er down.

Still have all the fluids to get done and grease and inspection.

This 43 makes me sit some times and just stare at it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I often stare at that outstanding piece of military history too Zout (in your pics) and try to plan to get up there to do a "heart transplant". :beer:

zout

I am in no hurry - I have no agenda - it is what is is. I will just go back on the jeeps or I will start working on the yard that I have totaly forgotten about (Deb has not forgotten) and play with that.

Whenever things "work" out and then I can prepare for my friends to come for an AWSOME BBQ - I will be ready.

MY neighbors went into shock when I acutally cut my lawn the other day in this subdivision - gotta train them folks daily.rofl

Ghostdriver

I too sit and stare at your M43, just wishin' and hopin'. Grandbabies could sure come in handy - I have a truck that needs cleaned & swept. Let me know if you ship them up here, I'd pay Davis-Bacon for good work. ;-)

zout

MC rebuilt kit ordered
Drivers side mirror stem and head ordered
Brake pedal (2 piece) return spring ordered.

Pulling the MC today and get it prepped. Then onto cleaning up the pig sty work area and start tiddying up the windows.
I might even roll it out onto the pad a little more - Will let the 4 grandkids PUSH and maybe (yeah right) get Deb to push while I sit in the drivers seat steering and yellin YAAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOO.:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am in no hurry - I have no agenda - it is what is is. I will just go back on the jeeps or I will start working on the yard that I have totaly forgotten about (Deb has not forgotten) and play with that.

Whenever things "work" out and then I can prepare for my friends to come for an AWSOME BBQ - I will be ready.

MY neighbors went into shock when I acutally cut my lawn the other day in this subdivision - gotta train them folks daily.rofl
Dave, you have put so much blood, sweat and tears into that M43 the CAMO Crew would like to make you an offer you should not refuse.

We would like to pick the M43 from you and bring it back to Columbus for the "Heart Transplant".
Of course, the engine will be completely rebuilt (my donation to the cause), painted up purty, all systems checked out and slammed into the gaping engine hole.

To me, this makes more sense than trying to bring stuff up there then find out we are missing some vital part/bolts/mounts etc..
We have a few trucks here we could "borrow" stuff from to get the job done.

If you will allow us to do this, we will make the pickup part of the CAMO Training Schedule on a Wednesday...like next week or the week after at the latest.

The only acceptable answer is yes...let's:grd::grd::grd:

The Imperial First Sergeant awaits your guidance!:arrow:

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would like to pick the M43 from you and bring it back to Columbus for the "Heart Transplant".
Of course, the engine will be completely rebuilt (my donation to the cause), painted up purty, all systems checked out and slammed into the gaping engine hole.

To me, this makes more sense than trying to bring stuff up there then find out we are missing some vital part/bolts/mounts etc..
We have a few trucks here we could "borrow" stuff from to get the job done.
I don't suppose I could get mine on the schedule could I? It's only 1900 miles round trip. I'd even come pick it up when its done.

zout

It is impolite to say no to an ELDER rofl

Here are some walk around pics I took after some work on it today - it will make it easier for some to look in one spot than piece by piece posts of pics.

The Master Cylinder rebuild kit is on its way with the brake pedal springs - mirror stem for the drivers side along with a new mirror - these were rusted and just fell apart when I first started working on the body.

PB - I can put the pieces I have outside and tarp over them on a TUE night when I get home - the crank w/flywheel attached I have kept oiled really good and should not be a worry.

This will eventually wind up with CAMO in the future with I am dead dead & gone as a favorite song of mine says. And besides that the 43 is at CAMO beccon call for anything they wish to take it to as well - there is NO deviation in this decision as PB and the CAMO crew have gone way over expectations and our original deal on the unit.

I will say: I am extremely happy with this decision and Deb agree's.(that is the final resting place of the 43 - not the engine issue going on)

Other than my pride and it makes me uncomfortable with this step as I have lived my life pretty much doing things by myself - I understand your decision - I would not want to try to pack up what I thought something might take and spend the time to find trivial things I missed or forgot on the mission - it would be like someone stabbed me in my heart to not finish what I started.

PB - CAMO - you have my deepest humble gratitude.

The rest of ya all beggers - auaauaauaaua

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.