• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comments on servicing my newly acquired M923

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Servicing a M923. Received my 923 last week and began going through it. I know engine oil filter nos have been posted a thousand times, but at the time I needed them, didn`t know how to look them up. However, found the local NAPA dealer had good cross refs for Cummins NHC-250 engines. For instance, NAPA 1954 for engine oil, NAPA 1268 for xmsn oil cooler. I`m missing the spare tire boom, but can weld up something for that. Here in Ga. DOT requires a rear bumper to protect motorist from being decapitated during a rear end collision. Has anyone else been required to install a bumper? The main purpose for my M923 purchase is to tow a 60kHD dozer carrying 3 axle trailer. Presently lacking a conversion kit for reducing 24v to 12v for trailer lights. Trying to fabricate a voltage regular box with proper sized resistor that will go between the truck and trailer. Wish me luck on that one. Cheapest liability ins I could find is with State Farm and had to be a commercial policy, $208/6mos. GEICO quoted $500/6mos. Premium rate is a function of the vehicle weight, 21,600 lbs. empty and 31,600 lbs. loaded. Fortunately, I do have a CDL.
One other comment on tire pressure. Manual says for cross country trips 50 psi rears and 80 psi steer. I`ve never heard of such low pressures. Always run 100 psi plus on my big trucks.

Thanks for listening
Private Buttweet

Barron

I'd build some temporary low bumper for the inspection then take it back off, 90 or 100 in the rears and 110 in front seems to work. Thanks for the Napa x-refs

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be off topic but one thing I feel is worth the time would be repacking all wheel bearings. There is plenty more for shure but that's a start.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barron, Will you be changing the internal filter in the allison and have you found a number for it? I looked up the TES 295 (syn) and found it to be $40 +/gal and I need 4gal. Does that sound right? Think my tranny is MT654. Thanks

Barron

Buttweet. You can go to the Allison website and pull up the different MFR's for the TES-295 approved oil, Yours should be a TM654CR. 10 weight engine oil has about the same thermal efficiency of water, and the TES-295 spec has leaps and bounds better thermal capability as well as corrosion inhibitors and other things a transmission needs that straight 10 weight oil can't give you. If you're planning on pulling that big dozer, I'd suggest going with the Allison approved oil. I just picked John Deere because I could get a deal on it. I had the NAPA number written down for the internal trans filter, and can't find it. It's supposed to be an Allison 29502302 or a Baldwin 19739. Napa could X-reference the Baldwin #, and I know NAPA has them. They are easy to change, they come with the pan gasket, filter and a couple O-rings. This truck I got had 22.5 hours on it, and the entire driveline just had the assembly grease, and was in dire need of a full lube.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Barron, Thats alot of good info. I appreciate your expertise. Before pulling my dozer I have to wire up trailer lights which are 12 volts. The trailer is equipped with air brakes which works fine but the light conversion is kicking my butt.
Thanks

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Barron, Thats alot of good info. I appreciate your expertise. Before pulling my dozer I have to wire up trailer lights which are 12 volts. The trailer is equipped with air brakes which works fine but the light conversion is kicking my butt.
Thanks
There's a couple of things you can do. You can change out the lights for LEDs which at lest the Grote brand can take either 24vdc or 12vdc. Go with a female plug on the trailer and two different cables to hook to the different trucks. Then you don't have to change anything on the m923. Much easier.

You could also put on an additional set of lights for 24vdc. Again, you then don't have to change anything on your truck.

Barron

I was gonna say, GE makes all sorts of 24v bulbs, so skip the voltage converter idea, That's what I would do, or Like Beerslayer said the LEDs can handle all sorts of voltage. The diff between 12 & 24 is twice the volts, but half the amps, so no need to worry about any existing wiring issues. You'll have it fixed and done in time for beer!

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luv you guys. This site is so helpful. Everyone helping eash other. Thats what its all about. I like the 24 volt bulb idea-will check that out today. However, could I have a Dr Pepper instead of beer. I was reared on a dairy farm in north Ga. and always thought beer tasted like cow pee and I have been splashed in the face many a times with cow pee and cow patty soup also,YUK. I should stop, I`m gettin homesick. Thanks for the offer though. Buttweet

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are only going to pull with the 923 then changing bulbs to 24v is the fastest, cheapest, and easiest way to go.

I was thinking that you still needed to pull the trailer with other vehicles, hence the LED recommendation.

Wmysingr

Did you find a good place for parts?

I'm looking for a good source to get basic parts (like oil drain plug replacements, radiator caps, etc.). Since you have started on your new truck I was wondering if you had found any great sources? Thanks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for a good source to get basic parts (like oil drain plug replacements, radiator caps, etc.). Since you have started on your new truck I was wondering if you had found any great sources? Thanks.
McMastercar has the drain plugs for the axles.
3/4 w/magnet p/n 1072A24
McMaster-Carr

cde3mobile

Regarding Insurance. Here in California if you register as a Historic Vehicle for about $120.00 you can use JC Taylor Antique Automobile Insurance Agency, Inc. out of Pennsylvania. (800) 345-8290
Insurance is about $76.00/ year. Obviously there are limitations as a Historic Vehicle like Hauling and Pulling trailers, but for Hobbyists and clubs it works well.

On another note, My 1983 M923 stalls when it accelerates quickly, like a double pump on the throttle, and sometimes in gear change on the road. I shut it off and restart immediately without issue. Should i begin with the Fuel filter? Mine was refurbished in 2009 and has all new Paint/ roof/ rubber/ seats/ hoses/ belts/ new tool kit/ etc. I went with the larger tires from the A1 model and the only issue I have is the Stalling. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
If you check in the 5 ton and up forum on the main page there is a "sticky" which is the second post down that is a spreadsheet with a lot of the cross references already listed. Many have added to it so it a real good tool for us 5 ton guys. I have used many times.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ive had allot of luck with Memphis surplus supply. They are very knowledgeable and prices are good too. Melanie is the parts lady there.
Your filter can be washed and cleaned. The Donaldson number is a P10-8874. You can visit the site for the ThoseMilitaryGuys and get their cage kit which allows you to run a better and more cfm wix filter # 46664

You better not be hitting on Melonie. I am in there atleast once a week. I always tell her shes my future ex wife since we both are happily divorced.

You can find all 5 ton parts here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-6vGwwEsD-flXsMFBn7VomUUJDuk_aG_to5pzHqzkBc/edit#gid=0

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks