• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial 24.5 wheels ? fit M50 series axles ?

Mack Attack

Banned
As you all know, I am looking at/into locating and buying an M52a1 Mack turbo diesel 5T tractor.
I would like to run some 11R or 12R 24.5 tires on it.

Now don't get me wrong I love split rim tube type tires as much as the next person, I will have a new set mounted up and ready to go for shows and so forth.

For routine running about I would like to toss 10 of the 11R or 12R 24.5 radials under it.
Is the lug pattern the same ? Will a set of Steel 24.5s bolt up ?

M/A

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the lug pattern the same ? Will a set of Steel 24.5s bolt up
Same as what?

More important than the correct bolt pattern is, the fact that the correct rims will be nut-centric(tapered lug nuts).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
stud piloted, is what I was referring to.

Now that makes me wonder about correct terminology.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lug count is only one factor.

You must also consider, hole diameter of stud holes

bolt dianmeter,

Hub hole circle diameter

Type of nuts used( tapered or flat washered nuts)

offset

You still haven't said what your referencing to be the same as stock rims.

Last edited:

Mack Attack

Banned
What ever would be on the truck when I find one. Did they used different wheels on the M52a1's ?
I would ideally be buying a tractor with ten of the 11.00-20 tires on it.

I guess I need the truck first ? To find out if it can be updated ?
M/A

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you have the 24.5 rims now? Post a pic or tell us what they are off of.

The military trucks (5 tons of that period) all used the same(as each other) rim type.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What ever would be on the truck when I find one. Did they used different wheels on the M52a1's ?
I would ideally be buying a tractor with ten of the 11.00-20 tires on it.

I guess I need the truck first ? To find out if it can be updated ?
M/A
This would be the best plan, ALL the 5ts use the same 10 hole bud rim except the bridge truck that uses a wider rim for the 1400x20 tire and the m819 that uses a wider rim for the 1200x20, ALL the 5t rims will bolt on all the 5t hubs as ALL have the same hole pattern

Mack Attack

Banned
No I do NOT have rims, Buying rims before I have a truck would be silly. I was trying to research ahead of time. So I would know if its possible, If so what wheels would I need to buy.

I was being sarcastic before, I personally dislike split rims so if they don't offer a 24.5 that will work I will most likely stop looking for an M52a1 Mack diesel ;-)
M/A

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with 24", 22.5, and 22" tubeless tires and rims?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No I do NOT have rims, Buying rims before I have a truck would be silly. I was trying to research ahead of time. So I would know if its possible, If so what wheels would I need to buy.

I was being sarcastic before, I personally dislike split rims so if they don't offer a 24.5 that will work I will most likely stop looking for an M52a1 Mack diesel ;-)
M/A
If you can not find 24.5s, look for 22.5s, I found used ones for the 819, just did not get them due to lack of $$$, any BIG truck tire shop will have used steel rims from people that changed out to aluminum rims.

Mack Attack

Banned
IIRC the 11R22.5s are shorter than by an inch or 2 11.00-20s, a truck that only dose 45-50mph don't need to be slowed down. The 11R22.5 is the same hight as 10.00-20's which are about 40" tall. 11.00R20s in T831/G177 are 43.7" as where the 11R24.5 was 44.?" Tall and one of the 2 offered a 12R24.5 . . .

The 12.00R24s are almost 50" tall but seem to be a some what obsolete tire size. The 24.5s are always in-stock and steel wheels are cheap to buy from out house/Mount Horb truck.

I haven't seen a 22" truck tire in 30yrs, No way them import 22's will fit much less hold the truck up.

So yea I'm kind of stuck on 24.5s ;-)
M/A

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dammit man!!!

I just scrapped an old (92) Freightshaker with 10 good 24.5 steel budd wheels cause everything else I have is 22.5.aua
No use having them laying around in the way.:shock:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:shock: Funny thing, I too have been looking for such a tire/rim combo for my M819.

Mack Attack

Banned
I been trying to figure out a way to do it with out super singles, I ain't a fan of SRW's on tractors. They look kind of goofy in my opinion. So I figured out 12R24.5s would be ideal ;-)

M/A

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
99.9% of stud pilot 24.5 commercial wheels will fit the 5-ton. Honestly, I've never seen one that wouldn't but I'm thinking there could be a oddball out there somewhere.

Doc, you'll more than likely have to change your studs to run AL due to the extra thickness AL wheels have.