• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Commercial use of M915's, 916's, 920's etc...

tbci

Looking for photos and knowledge of M900(CCC/AM General) 20 ton trucks that have been put back into regular use commercially. Starting this thread as an excuse to brag about my most recent use for a 915a1, but I'm looking forward to someone showing me up!

I've added a CB, TomTom GPS, Pioneer Stereo with USB & Aux inputs-amp and high output 6x9's, super singles from M989 ammo trailers on both truck and trailer.

Upcoming upgrades include combination toolbox/spare holder from a M818 and a DTAC AC/Heat unit. Have both sitting on the shop floor just no time to install. Oh the joy of commercial hauling!

Attachments

camp9

Looking for photos and knowledge of M900(CCC/AM General) 20 ton trucks that have been put back into regular use commercially. Starting this thread as an excuse to brag about my most recent use for a 915a1, but I'm looking forward to someone showing me up!

I've added a CB, TomTom GPS, Pioneer Stereo with USB & Aux inputs-amp and high output 6x9's, super singles from M989 ammo trailers on both truck and trailer.

Upcoming upgrades include combination toolbox/spare holder from a M818 and a DTAC AC/Heat unit. Have both sitting on the shop floor just no time to install. Oh the joy of commercial hauling!
Nice looking load of hay. I'm hoping to pick up a tractor in Shelby to do the same thing.

Autocar

I would like to add A/C to mine. Please post pics and info on your A/C installation if you would.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are several members on here using M915's and larger for all kinds of hauling.

Reb87 up in Nebraska has several of them to haul corn and soybeans with.

There have been several pics posted over the last few months.

I love my M915 but making a living in it would be a tough row to hoe.

Mine is just a big toy hauler that I pull my van to rallys with.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I want an M373 van to pull behind my M915A1's! Your's looks Sweet, Wreckerman.
The van is great for rallys since I have made a hooch in the front complete with queen sized bed and power. A small electric heater keeps it toasty at night when the temps get low.

Future plans call for more of a RV interior with plenty of storage space. I might add a small window or two since it is pretty dark in there if no power is connected.

The rear is partitioned off and is used to hold trade goods and the Mess Tent we got at the last GA Rally.

R Racing

I would like to add A/C to mine. Please post pics and info on your A/C installation if you would.
Put a AC unit in mine. it was a easy install. but I recomend a 12V system aposed to a 24V system since the Alt isnt designed to draw that much current and will toast on ya . lol

R Racing

It was a unit for a HMMWV that was 24V ( I had to add a larger 24V Alt to make it work ) Here is a picture of the bracket mounted externally. The truck has been at the Cat dealer for 5 weeks now and I don't think I have a interior picture. There are a # of companies that make nicer AC units that are easy installs with a 12V input that would save you money over what I did.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why the ice road trucker guys dont use M916's and M920's. Seems like if they repower them for more umph, they would do ok. I know its a long haul for them, but if things get sketchy, that front drive axle would be nice to have. There has to be a good reason or else i would think they would have done it by now.

Bighurt

I wonder why the ice road trucker guys dont use M916's and M920's. Seems like if they repower them for more umph, they would do ok. I know its a long haul for them, but if things get sketchy, that front drive axle would be nice to have. There has to be a good reason or else i would think they would have done it by now.
Aside from the no sleeper deal, I think the poorly insulated cab and sheer weight are a big factor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have been trying to get my brother in-law and his logging company to get some interest in the 920s for logging especially with the snow we get starting in October on the mountains. I have seen some old 911s done for logging and they pull some massive loads, it is just the speed on public roads. Some of the distances from the mills to the job site is 120 miles each way. He runs an old kenworth which he spends every weekend working on right now. I told him for the price you can get a fleet of 920s for one decent kenworth. Everday they waste almost 3 hours to chain up going up and down the mountain for the 2 or 3 trips to the mill. Heck get a plow for one to keep the road clear and 2 or 3 hauling logs would be great. I attached some 911s hauling things.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread, tbci!

I drove 915A1s in Iraq for 13 months (2004-2005). The ones we "fell in" on were South Dakota Army National Guard trucks. We left them there for the next bunch. I often wonder where they ended up.

The 915A1s that belonged to my old (Ohio) unit (these trucks stayed in the States) just sold out of Columbus, OH in early November. I wonder where they will end up.

It's good to see them with SS members. I was going to buy one, but opted for an M35A2 for the off-road ability and all. The deuce is a little easier for me to keep up with on maintenance, too.

Good luck with them! I hope to see these 915s at some get-togethers. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks