• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common ignition switch problem?

jvrotter

I have a '86 M1009 and I'm having trouble turning the ignition switch after inserting the key. It will take me up to 5 min to get the thing to turn. Once I get to the first position that unlocks the steering wheel its OK. To make matters worse I have a disability in my right hand so I have to reach over the column with my left to turn the key. I've never had the column apart but it seems like the wheel lock part might be to blame. My M1008 has had the same problem also for a while now although not as bad. Is this a common problem with the CUCV's?

Westech

CPL
its a common problem with the 1987 and down GM trucks/cars. You can spray some lube in there and see if the frees up the lock. Otherwise you will have to replace the lock. Its about a 10 min job with the correct tools and cost about 12 bucks.

bushhawg73

I had to replace mine for the same problem. It got so tough my wife could not turn the switch. Not a bad job as suggested by another member. You really need and bolt puller to get the steering wheel off IIRC.

OddballJ

is it possible that this could cause it to not go into the off position? It's happened to me a few times now. They key gets stuck in the on position and I can't get it to release and turn off. I finally had to shut the truck down by removing the pink wire going to the IP and then disconnected the batteries, but my key is still stuck in that blasted machine.

last time this happened, it just randomly released one day and I forgot about it. Guess I shouldn't have done that...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks